End of the road for the highest miliage 3.4 on w-body.

z34_nut

Well check my thread for parts,( http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29478 ) but heres the story behind it.

I had an apoinment with Ken Williams today to help me with a few problems on the car. Balljoints, and coil packs. He put it on the lift, checked out what he had to work with, and then ventured toward the back, where we saw this...

Drivers side:

PDRM0160.jpg

Pass Side:

PDRM0157.jpg

As you can see, my drivers side control arm broke, and my passengers side rusted right through the frame. The drivers side, even if replaced, is also very soft.

The whole ass end of the car is a big sponge. I didn't know it was that bad. I had reciently inspected the vehical myself, and the damage wasn't there.

All I can say is damn, some-one has been looking over me. This car looks like it was about to fall apart. Thank you NH for ruining such a great car.

Everything besides frame, and rear quarter panels are in GREAT condition. The tranny is new, the 238,8xxx mile engine still runs strong, and the interior is red and good.

I'm just pissed it couldn't last just 3 more months. I just didn't want to know that my car was in this bad of condition. In a way it saved me alot of money (I was going to fix everything wrong with the car, and sell it for a loss) but i need a beater untill I get to CO.

In a way it makes me very sad, I miss my baby already...*sigh*

Have you had it painted recently? The body panels look mint

it was painted a year and a half ago. How-ever, the rust in the rear quarter panles seeped through again, so those are junk. everything else is good. Check my f/s thread for sale items. :wink:

Yup, the cancer aka rust is what was the deciding factor in junking my 88 GP SE as well. The engine and trans were still good but I was starting to get afraid to get under the car, in fear that the jack would go through the rusty frame and kill me. :shock:

Guest Anonymous

That sucks man... too bad.

This scares me about the RPE. I had that thing parked on grass for a year. I better get under there and do some rust check... any way to stop it?

That sucks man... too bad.

This scares me about the RPE. I had that thing parked on grass for a year. I better get under there and do some rust check... any way to stop it?

No it will eat away at the precious RPE and there is nothing you can do about it!!!!

Of course there is something you can do! It really matters how bad the rust is.

If it's just surface I would sand it down to clean metal with some sandpaper and then put some primer on it.

If it's holes than you would have to have new metal welded into the car.

Holy crap! :shock:

That sucks a big one. I'll never buy a used car from the North!

You'll like living in Cali, cars don't rust! The 88 Cutlass we used to have came from Cali and didn't have a spec of rust under it.

Holy crap! :shock:

That sucks a big one. I'll never buy a used car from the North!

You'll like living in Cali, cars don't rust! The 88 Cutlass we used to have came from Cali and didn't have a spec of rust under it.

why do you think I wasn't looking to buy a car from the north?

Michaels car will share some good times in salt free Cali, as long as we are away from the shore.

shitty day. you movin to CO or Cali? you wrote co in your first post but were talking about cali. CO is way better than the E coast but CA is better

That sucks, guess you never had a massive o ring leak on that thing. I think thats the reason half of our 3.4 equipped cars dont have that much underbody rust. Some people just spray a fine mist of diesel fuel under their car to prevent rust. So if you dont care about looks, go for it until you move away from New England. I know I cant wait to get out of here.

nope, I never had a problem with the o ring on that car. odd I know.

I'm moving to California, BTW.

Also, John, you know you must go west, but DON'T go to Ohio (this comes from my experience, might be different for people who have lived there their whole life.)

BTW I might be making some arrangements to have Michales car transported out here. Of course, under full coverege...

That sucks, guess you never had a massive o ring leak on that thing. I think thats the reason half of our 3.4 equipped cars dont have that much underbody rust. Some people just spray a fine mist of diesel fuel under their car to prevent rust. So if you dont care about looks, go for it until you move away from New England. I know I cant wait to get out of here.

Diesel fuel keeps the underbody from rusting? Hmm..

That suck about your car, I know mine's starting to rust.. hopefully not that bad.. I need new trailing arms I know that..

thats the prolem with the north, is the salt and the roads, if you dont want your car to rust, you gotta store it when it gets shitty. That really sucks that that happened. but whatever you do, dont buy cars from the north cuz most of em are all shitty.