Project Cutlass

dsgrntld187

What should I do?  

1. 1. What should I do?

• Dump a new engine in it, fix it up, and sell it
    • Part it out

Well, for some reason, I'm buying another Cutlass Supreme to fix up. Why? I don't know. Just something to do I guess. It's a 1992, loaded besides leather and sunroof, 3.1 engine, automatic, blah blah blah. Red interior. I'm either going to dump a new engine in it (engine is.. well.. shot) or part it out, I'm not sure yet. Here's some pics:

92cutlass3.jpg

92cutlass2.jpg

92cutlass1.jpg

What should I do?

Where the hell do you all the room for these cars?

Seriously, fix the engine and sell it, you won't make enough parting it out.

What year is it?

1992, what do you mean where do I have room for these cars? I have my Cutlass, my Talon is on the way out, and my parents have 3 cars all together. Thats only 5 cars.. Some guys here have 5 cars, counting only their personal cars :lol: .

Because theres no way I could get more than 200 dollars for it non running. The motor is trash, the only good things are the doors and the interior, the front fenders are rusty, as is the hood. I want to fix it up and sell it around here to one of my friends, or just take some parts and haul it to the scrap yard.

This isn't the one in my signature, by the way..

I just plain wouldn't buy it...it looks beat up...and well there is barely any demand for CS 4-doors as it is...If you want a car to fix up, even if you do want to sell it, do yourself a favor and hold out for a 2-door CS or GP with a bad engine or something

Why does everyone say there is no demand for 4 doors? Around here there is. I had 3 people offer me 2500 for mine when it was for sale.. in ONE DAY! It's not beat up too bad, and if nothing else I can pull some parts from it that I need for my Cutlass.

the front fenders are rusty, as is the hood.

whoa! red flag!!!! rust = don't buy.

:werd:

I HATE rusting cars.. Pisses me off that my project Lumi has a little SURFACE rust on panels coming off anyway!

I thought you still had your truck and your mom's Blazer too. Honestly, I tend to agree with the other guys that it wouldn't be worth what you're going to do to it.

Well, if you can get a good deal on the car and a 3.1 then more power to you. :)

If I stuck any money into that, I'd end up driving it. I dunno if you're going to be able to make it worth your time or money otherwise.

the front fenders are rusty, as is the hood.

whoa! red flag!!!! rust = don't buy.

:? Even my Cutlass has rust.. Hell, theres a 4 in. x 1/2 in piece of my hood missing. I've already had a couple offers on this cars from the same people who offered me 2500 on my 94, so that might be the direction I go (fixing and selling).

After what I saw today, I'm definately getting it, if nothing else for a parts car. Brand new front tires (I have two good ones from my old set), performance chip, aftermarket speakers, among other things make this car worth it. The only bad part is the front fenders and hood. The underbody is as good as mine, which is rustfree, so I figure what the hell, it's a good project.

Oh yeah, it has a new alternator and all that. I'm gonna end up using a lot of parts on my car and then end up selling it to a guy at work who will fill it with scrap metal then take it to the scrap yard.

How much is that thing anyways?

Unless its dirty cheap I wouldn't buy it. It's a 4 door, nothing special. Hell, I thought I'd be able to fix up and sell my car for more money (I haven't really tried) but after all the money I spent fixing it up (yeah, it's hardly got any rust) but all the little things add up...

200 bucks, but around here sedans go for as much, if not more, than the 2 door Cuttys. I saw a 93 with some minor body damage and rusting go for 1700 and it had 159k miles.

I saw a 93 with some minor body damage and rusting go for 1700 and it had 159k miles.

Some people just aren't smart. Those are the ones you must take advantage of.

I saw a 93 with some minor body damage and rusting go for 1700 and it had 159k miles.

Some people just aren't smart. Those are the ones you must take advantage of.

I think a good rule of thumb figuring out the price for buying a used car+repairs is to get it pre-safetied by a good mechanic, and take the price of the repairs needed and add 50% of that price to the total, to be on the safe side. You never know what ELSE will need to be replaced to get a car in the shape you want it to be...

Although I don't "regret" buying my car cause I did know what I was getting into, it still was depressing spending the money into it just to get everything safetied and running right. After a couple months the "fun" of the 3100 wore off (seems powerful compared to my old 2.8), and my car still needs a little bit of work to look perfect. I wish I could just get all my money back, get a newer car (2000+) and buy something old (V8 RWD) to have as a REAL project car.

Coupes go for more around here.. sedans are a dime a dozen, I'd have no interest in a 3.1 4 door w-body unless it was super cheap and in excellent shape, and I needed a people mover.