Pictures of a HUD taken apart?

GutlessSupreme

particularly an earlier one with the metal grill, but any one would do I guess.

I want to see if I can figure out how to mount another, additional display in there to see if I can make it reflect onto the windshield as well. Say.. an aftermarket boost gauge for example? ;)

I'll bite.....I'll have some pictures up for you soon Tony. Afterall, I do have a spare TGP HUD in my closet(I've been meaning to stockpile it in my storage shed for about 2yrs now :oops: ).

Sorry for the delay...I didn't think about taking pictures of the HUD until earlier tonight.

I'll say one thing before I post the pictures. To me, it looks like it would be better to find some type of display similar to what is in the HUD now and alter it to give you a boost reading or something(I suppose it would take someone that deals with electronics to put together something like I'm preposing though. I'm not quite sure where one would go about getting such a display for this purpose.......).

In this pic, you can see how the HUD projects using the two mirrors(the foward large mirror and one small/crooked mounted one right above where the display is actually located.

IM003634.JPG

Looking into the HUD w/ the trim surround still attached(the white stuff is double stick tape I added to keep my plexi glass from sliding around there. The stock glass piece was cracked up so I cut up some 1/8'' or so plexi glass I had lying around to use in place of it...I haven't tried it in the car yet so I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the display).

IM003623.JPG

The display is projected out of the right side at the rear through that small opening.

IM003624.JPG

Front mirror shot...

IM003627.JPG

Looking a the display area, the little piece there under that tab in the center of the picture is the 2nd/small mirror in the unit.

IM003625.JPG

IM003626.JPG

IM003628.JPG

Sat the camera inside and pointed at the display.

IM003629.JPG

Another similar shot..

IM003630.JPG

IM003631.JPG

The front mirror could stand to be cleaned... :lol:

IM003632.JPG

IM003633.JPG

IM003635.JPG

Just a full view of the HUD w/o grill

IM003636.JPG

Another w/ the grill in place...

IM003637.JPG

Original glass on the right(has the black paint or whatever on the edges..maybe to cut down on glare?) along with a piece of plexi I cut to about the same size for the HUD(I have about three or four pieces I cut to that size to try).

IM003622.JPG

Hope those help!

EDIT: If you need any more pictures or any specific pics, let me know. I have the unit apart where I can slip the trim off of the actual electronic unit so taking pictures of it is no problem for me.

Thanks a lot man! :D Great pics!

Looks like a project for another month.. but it MAY be able to be done... it would all depend on size limits and how much I can play with an additional mirror.

*ponders*...

heh thanks again man.

Best bet is to get a spare HUD and play with it. I had to adjust the mirror on the TGP HUD I used to have to get the display at the correct height.

I'm waiting for the weather here to warm up some weekend to rip my dash apart.

I have a feeling the 'track' is off or my mirror is simply dirty enough to not get proper reflection.

That's part of the display itself.

The lines? I know its part of the display... I can sometimes see the red lines glowing in the windshield and in the trip computer display.. just wondering the purpose, if any.