Need some advice on different products..

1990lumina

Before I start, mods I don't know where this should go...maybe Whatever! is a better spot, but I wasn't sure..anyway, fell free to move it.

Alright tomorrow I'm gonna be spending some money.. and I need some advice.

1. What product do you as far as leather conditioners??? I'm looking for something that won't shine the leather, but rather condition it..(I don't know shit all about leather interiors...I just don't want it to crack or "dry" out or something)

2. I need to invest in a good rubber preservative for my weatherstripping and rubber around the windows and stuff on my Lumina. This car sits outside ALL the time (used to be garaged all its life) and the rubber stripping around the windows is still in very good shape and I want to keep it like that.

I say this because my dad's Taurus rubber stripping is totally rotted to shit.

So, a product that penerates and protects from UV rays would be nice.

3. Should I buy a steam cleaner? Do they really work as far as loosening crap in the carpet and seats and whatnot...I know you can use them on wheels as well...just wondering if it is worth the investment and if anyone has used one.

That's about it right now, thanks!

- Jeff L.

1- When did you get leather seats? Any automotive grade conditioner will be fine.

2- I would get some Lithium grease? even motor oil would work all you need is something to keep them "wet".

3-I wouldn't waste money buying one since they are $$$$ but if you are going to clean your interior that heavily take the seats and console out. Usually you can rent a steamcleaner and that might work.

The leather is in my mom's car..but I'm buying everything at once so I know some ppl have leather here so I thoughtI'd ask.

So, all I need to do is keep all the rubber seals and stripping wet with oil?? Sounds like something easy to do, thanks for the tip :D

I'm sorta thinking that as well...might hold off on the steam cleaner...my carpets aren't all that bad, but I was more of less wondering if they do anything more then the carpet cleaner in a can can accomplish....I'm sure they do a better job, but probably not worth it now that I think about it!

- Thanks

- Jeff L.

Di-electric silicone works well to keep weatherstripping in good shape, most auto manufacturers recommend it. I generally use Meguiars leather conditioner, but almost any brand should work well.

1. Lexol

2. Prestone silicone spray

3. Yes they work. They get pretty much all the stains out. There are some stains that are really tough, but for the most part it works awesome. When you get done check out the water.... EEEEWWWWWW!!!!

I don't know if I would buy one just for doing the car. We bought it for the house and the car gets it as a benefit. If it is a one-time deal or every year or so, I would take it to some place that does real detailing and have them do it. It will cost you a little bit more then a rental and someone else does the work.

Glock