Grinding Sound?

SmokesGTP

My 3.4 is doing some really weird stuff. When idling it seems to idle normal but when idling with the hood open the other day i noticed a noise that seemed to be coming from the top left area of the engine bay. I cant seem to pinpoint where it's coming from. Its hard to describe but it sounds like a grinding sound and it occurs every second or so continually. It seems to affect the idle to but just slightlyit drops only maybe 100 rpms. It almost sounds like rubber rubbing against something. I checked the serp. belt because this was my first idea but it seems fine. The timing belt is fine too only about 15K on it. My dad brought up the idea of a power steering problem but it seems unlikely considering it occurs when im not steering :? . I searched the archives and found nothing similar. Any ideas would be of great help because this is starting to worry me.

Well, if it's not the serpentine belt or the timing belt... and you said it's like a rubber - to - rubber sound? Um, this might be a long shot, but when my water pump bearings were going out, it sounded along the same lines... but that towards the front of the motor. Huh... :? Fluid level on your P/S is correct? Otherwise, I'm stumped at the moment...

- RedFox340

Fluid level is fine thats the weird thing. It has a small pinhole leak on the top hose I've been meaning to get fixed but other than that the power steering works great. I've also noticed the problem seems to get better as the car warms up. It may not be rubber noise but it doesnt sound like metal really very hard to describe. As for any other details the engine temp stays normal as it should while operating and when cold it idles at about 1100 rpms which is normal too. I love this engine so much when it works right but this seems to be only about 10% of the time. :x

Actually I take that back about it getting better when the car is getting warm it seems to become noticeable only when the car is warm. While the car is idling high when its cold it seems to run great and after sitting for about 5 minutes running it starts to do this and gets louder and louder and levels off. This is really weird.

is it like a grinding/rattle.... if so I am having the same problem..... I think its either the timing chain, alt or water pump...... but I have had not time to look into it, (work, school, and my ol'lady eats all my time....)

I get the rattle too but only at really low rpms, I also get a cam wine when I'm at 6g's or so and only when the car is running perfect any other 3.4 have this and is it a problem

Yeah that about describes it. Only seems to happen at low rpms and when idle. I was thinkin maybe the alt but its brand new, I just got it replaced about a month ago. The water pump is in the front though so idk. I thought maybe the timing belt but it looks fine and its only got about 25k on it. Maybe its one of the pulleys associated with the timing belt?

My 94 makes a noise in that PS pump area too. It kind of sounds like a loud "PSHHHHHHHHT" (sorta like a loud hiss) and it does it over and over, more noticeable during warm idle. I thought it was a vacuum leak at first, but spraying carb cleaner all around the area has no effect.

I was thinking it was the pump on mine, but it doesn't leak, PS works fine, and I can't hear it with the hood shut, so I'm not worrying about it.

Shawn thats exactly it. I cant hear it either when the hood is closed so im just not gonna worry about it. It does it over and over especially at warm idle. IDK im not gonna worry about it.

Yeah, must be a common 3.4 DOHC "thing".

I wouldn't call it a problem, because so far it hasn't been one.

I'm almost sure it's coming from the PS pump. It may be a normal sound, or maybe it's the pump going out, I have no idea.

I can't think of anything else it could be. The sound seems to be coming from very close to the top, so I don't think it's the alternator (which is buried at the bottom close to the firewall).

The pump looks pretty easy to replace, so I just figure I'll ignore it till either the pump springs a leak, or I lose power steering.

I have had a similar noise that was a result of the idler pully going bad.

It would go away when it got warmed up, but I would hear it mainly on exceleration. The bearing gets dry and can cause vibration.

Take off the tension and see if it spins freely.