Some basic questions

GI Drewsifer

Like I said, I've had a dream about a Grand Prix project car since I got into cars, about a year ago. This is my plan, Get a Grand Prix SE, put an Manual tranny in it, either swap in a bigger engine, or Port and turbo the current one, and make a mean street sleeper. Here's my problems though, one I dont own the car yet. To my knowledge SE's never had a manual tranny in, so I would have to do a swap. I was wondering how easy it would be to take the tranny from like a saturn, since its the same platform. Then the engine question. I dont know how much I can squeeze fom the stock engine, or what engine swaps might work well.

And to be clear, this is just what I'm planning, and what I think. I'm not claiming to be an expert, so if I'm wrong about things, be nice. If you guys could help a newbie like myself, I'd be very thankful.

Uhh a Saturn was on the w-10 platform?

Besides that yes Prix has Manual transmissions either the Getrag 282 with a 2.8 or 3.1 or in rare cases there have been a few known sightings of a Prix SE with a Getrag 284 with a 3.4 DOHC in it

(Correct me if I'm wrong Pontiac guys)

I thought Saturn had a W body platform. It maybe just a similiar styling, but I've parked next to Saturns I thought where Grand Prix. Not sure of the Tag for it, but like I said, I'm probably wrong.

I'm pretty sure Saturn's were built on a different platofrm - could be wrong though.

Either way, the tranny that will bolt right up is the Getrag 282 or 284...the 284 is heavier duty and might be a better choice if you can find one if you plan to make a power house out of this SE project...but the 282 should probably hold up okay.

I'd think that the 3.4 swap sounds like something fun..but the turbo and port sounds fun as well...or dare I say L67...but that is quite abit of work - depends if your up for it!!

Good luck!

- Jeff L.

Yes, Saturns are part of the GM-10 platform. They are, however, Z-bodies. Grand Prix's did come with manuals, but only in certain years:

88-89: 2.8L/Getrag 282

90: No manuals.

91-93: 3.4L/Getrag 284

The Saturns had a shitty version of the 284 built by Isuzu. It is NOT anything I would dare try and bolt up to a V6. I'm assuming this is a 88-93 Grand Prix in which case it's quite easy to swap in a manual. It's been discussed numerous times on this board before.

Guest TurboSedan

Besides that yes Prix has Manual transmissions either the Getrag 282 with a 2.8 or 3.1 or in rare cases there have been a few known sightings of a Prix SE with a Getrag 284 with a 3.4 DOHC in it

(Correct me if I'm wrong Pontiac guys)

you're right - i know Canada has a '91 Grand Prix SE B4U with the 3.4 DOHC/Getrag 284. i've seen a few in town here too.

W-body donor cars would be:

Getrag HM 282:

'88-90 Grand Prix

'88-'90 Cutlass Supreme

'90 Lumina (i think...)

Getrag HM-284:

'91-'93 Grand Prix

'91-'93 Cutlass Supreme

'91-'93 Lumina Z34 & Lumina Euro 3.4

the 284 was only available in the W-bodies, but the Getrag 282 can also be found in 2.8/3.1 MPFI Corsica/Berettas, Cavalier/Sunbirds, and some HO Quad-4 N-bodies (as well as the '90 Cutlass Supreme). to use a Getrag 282 from a Quad-4 engine would require swapping on a V6 bellhousing onto the trans.

what year Grand Prix SE were you planning on getting?

what year Grand Prix SE were you planning on

getting?

I was thinking perhaps a 95 or 96. Those seem to be pretty plentiful. Also I've heard my thoughts about possible turbo'ing said SE are too far fetched.

The exact quote is " Thats so unrealistic. Do you know how much it would cost to boost a 3100? swap in a manual transmission that will actually mate to a 3100? convert it to OBD1 because OBD2 will simply not allow you to do any of that?"

Is this true? SHould I give up on my SE project before i even begins?

Well, heres a few things I know that may need correcting from the more experienced guys.

With the manual swap, it would be much easier to do it in a car older than 94, as they all have the provisions to do so. The 94 and up cars do not, and some custom fabrication has to be done to get a manual into it. The earlier ones are pretty much plug and play.

As far as turbo charging, I would def pick the 3.4, but thats because i am turboing mine, and I like the DOHC better. If you do it all right, new quality parts, expect to spend $3000-4000 doing the turbo setup. Alot of custom work has to be done doing this also. It is possible, it has been done.

Ok, so an SE above 94 would be a bad idea. I really only picked a 96 because there usually pretty easy to find. The body style was the same as far as I can tell. So switched to a 94 or earlier, problem solved.

As for the turboing, spending 4k on a full turbo set up doesnt sound that bad to me (compared to kits I've seen). SE's came with the 3.4 engine option right? If not, perhaps I'll just go with an engine swap. Any thoughts on good engine swaps?

Well I've been trying to do some research on some items that would be needed for my future project car. I found a 93' SE but it only has the 3.1 in it. But the 3.4 is a drop in right? Problem is, 3.4 engines dont seem to be all that easy to find. Next is the tranny. Cant find either the 282 or 284. So, it seems in the pre planning stage of things, things dont look so good.

Guest TurboSedan

turbocharging the existing 3.1 MPFI in the '93 you found would be easy and with very minimal mods will give you more power than a 3.4 DOHC swap. as far as tranny's go, i'd stick with the 282. at least they can be BUILT.