Odometer problem

91grandprixGT

what security stuff? When I tried to swap clusters in my 90 Lumina, I rolled the odometer on the donor cluster from 178K to 38K, and it worked fine.

The odo probably needs a new motor. You can swap with a motor from any other GP cluster.

The old W-body mechanical clusters aren't all that tamper resistant. You can pop the entire odometer wheel out of the red plastic frame and then all the digits are loose and can be changed to whatever you want.

The odometer motor or odometer itself is very easy to change. You'll see what I mean if you take one apart. If you try to roll the odometer backwards (without separating the numbers) it will break. I would find a cheap cluster somewhere, maybe ebay or a junkyard. If you have a base cluster, good time to upgrade. If you use the new cluster just swap your odometer over.

Well, when I swapped clusters I played with the other car's odometer for the hell of it. When it went backwards, something snapped and the numbers were not held in anymore. Probably a little triangle shaped tab for only moving one direction.

the one thing that pissed me off was that little plastic piece that held the tabs in place. if that wasnt lined up correctly, then it wouldnt turn, but if it was lined up, it would turn.

either way, isnt it illegal to do an odo swap without letting your state/town know?

Yeah, I put my original odometer in, so it is ok. It probably isn't legal to do yourself...and it just shows how easy it is to lie about mileage. :?

Plus some guys on here know how to roll the digital clusters forward for sure...and I'm sure someone knows how to roll them backwards as well...

- Jeff L.

either way, isnt it illegal to do an odo swap without letting your state/town know?

Only if you get caught. :read:

isnt everything like that :D

The old W-body mechanical clusters aren't all that tamper resistant. You can pop the entire odometer wheel out of the red plastic frame and then all the digits are loose and can be changed to whatever you want.

Thats rather disconcerting

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, from what I was reading, if you put in a new cluster, you must reset the mileage to 0 and put a sticker on the door saying what the mileage was at the time of the swap :roll:

eh whos gonna know eh? I could always reset the mileage and say it had 70k miles on it cause my insurance company doesnt ask mileage or anything I could screw someone bad, but I'm not that kind of an asshole, I'm keeping track of mileage everytime I rold the trip I mark down 1k miles on a piece of paper (Call me stupid if you want) and when I get a new cluster I will just set it at the correct mileage. just got a JVC headunit screw the steering wheel controls, gonna get windows tinted when I go to chicago and then get back put some subs, amp into the car and bump that biotch