HUD install in TSTE...how do I wire it in???

dbtk2

Well I have the dashpad off my STE trying to install the HUD, because I was told that the wiring for it should already be there and it would just need to be plugged in. Well, the wiring isn't there unless they hide it somewhere that I haven't looked, and I have no idea what wires I do need to splice into to get it to work. Anybody with any experience on this please help me out.

Also, I have the dimmer switch for it, however it looks like it is supposed to plug into a harness that isn't there, and it is supposed to screw on below the headlight switch but the shroud for the switches is different and has no hole for the wiring and only one screw hold in it instead of two. Should I just drill this out to make it work or what?

Thanks,

Shawn

Guest Anonymous

the TSTE doesnt have a HUD????

The harness should be able to splice into the cluster harness, but it sounds like you'll need wiring diagrams. go to gearhead's website, he has all the info. Our cars didnt come prewired for anything in these years...

I will get back to you tonight when I get home...The TSTE is definately not prewired.

No need to drill another hole for the dimmer switch, it stays fine with one. What year HUD?

I believe it is a '90 HUD out of a Turbo GP as it looks identical to the one in our Turbo GP and has the same dimmer switch and everything. I have the part of the harness from the car it came off of because I figured I would probably have to wire it in, however I just had no clue what harness to splice into. Also, I'm not worried about the dimmer switch bolting on with one bolt, its the hole in there for the wires that I'm more worried about...do I just drill it out or what.

The TSTE's had HUD as an option (one of the 4 as was already said), but mine was pretty base. The only option it had when I got it was a moonroof, which is ok because its the only one you can't really change. (you could put in an aftermarket but not really a factory one without a LOT of work) I added a CD player to mine, and now this HUD, so I just won't have leather which I don't really want that badly.

Thanks for the link,

Shawn

Edit: Yes, it is a TGP HUD as it has the grille on it and the manual height adjustment on the side of it.

I've never seen a Turbo STE with it factory, but I've only personally seen two of them, (mine and one other) and how many people on here have TSTE's...4 or 5 maybe? That leaves approx 995 that I don't know about. It was an option however from what I have read, so there are possibly some out there with it.

Shawn