code 32?

cmo1234

Took my Lumina (90 3.1 3spd) out for a longer drive yesterday (like 40mi round trip just to warm it up) and then the SES light came on about 1/2 way to where I was going. It stayed on for like 5minutes and then went off. I stopped at 2-3 places and nothing out of ordinary when restarting. The light didn't come back on.

But this morning all it is doing is turning over and not starting at all. Checked the codes w/ the paper clip and it reads #12 (OK) at the beginning but then it read #32 also. Any suggestions on what this is before I start taking shit apart? The light had come on about a month ago too but it never hindered anything and it didnt give any codes other than 12. Thanks in advance

Well, this is code 32:

The ECM opens each EGR control valve during deceleration and monitors the change in manifold vacuum. The code sets when the change in manifold vacuum is outside the normal range.

My Haynes book says this about code 32:

Check vacuum hoses and connections for leaks and restrictions. If necessary, replace EGR valve.

So this could possibly also keep the car from starting at all? Just keeps on turning over..

I have noticed that when sometimes starting to decelerate, still having the throttle partially open but slowing down just before lifting completely off the gas that the car kind of slightly hesitate and then surges a little back and forth back and forth. It only happens once in while but i have noticed.

Also what is the EGR, what does it stand for and where do find it? I will check all the hoses going to the T/B etc. Sucks that I have to go to my g/f's to work on it cause that's where it broke down and no internet over there :? to check if its other things. Well Ill give it a try

Ok one more thing, I know the ECM is the computer or "brains" but what does that stand for also? Electronic Control Module? Emmission Control? Just wondering

GO BUCANNEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT TILL KICKOFF :cheers:

EGR = Exhaust Gas Re-Circulation

ECM = Engine Control Module

I've had EGR problems in the past and it can cause a lot of strange things like hesitation, surging, mis-fire "feel", lack of performance and acceleration etc...

The following pic will show exactly where it is located...

underhood.jpg