Update: CS-130 to CS-130D conversion...Impossible

93GTP

Well I thought I had read in the past that people have done this swap on 3.4 cars, but I just wanted to let you all know that this conversion is not possible. At least not on my 1993 GTP. The mounting locations on the 130D are different enough that you cannot mount it in. I could get one bolt in but that's it.

Inspecting the alternators side by side you can see that although the o'clock positions of the mounting holes are the same, the spacing between them is different. The only way I can see this swap being possible is to have ALL of the mounting brackets from a '94-97 DOHC and bolt them onto your engine. I believe this would include the front timing cover on the engine (the one for the t-chain, not the t-belt...not worth the effort).

This might be something I look into doing on the '92 Z motor I plan on rebuilding. But for now it looks like I'm stuck with the crappy CS-130 and replacing it once a year or so :(