Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, if you've seen my other post you know I got an '89 GP SE today. There are a few problems but nothing major, I hope.

First question, it had a 2.8 in it and they blew it up. They had a 3.1 put in and didn't do anything with the computer. Would it need a chip from a 3.1 or is the 2.8 chip the same?

2nd, when you turn on the lights the dash goes out. Is the cluster bad?

well the ECMs are the same between the 2 so i would assume the chip is also. Im almost positive shawn knows how to fix that. i have a cluster that does that exact same thing. PM him

oh yea and shawn if you see this i didnt forget about you......i just dont really feel like asking my parents to take me to the post office for the 600th time this month. i will go on my own in about 10 days and get a price for the lil bugger

Guest TurboSedan

seriously tho, whatcha plannin' for the new GP? i would get a chip from an '89 GP w/3.1 pronto if i were you, or better yet get one from Ben. wait, you gotta turbo that thing! and more pics would be cool...

joshua

Guest Anonymous

I was going to get pics today but it decided to snow another 4" and freeze everthing over again.

It's going to get a complete tune-up, plugs, wires, filters, O2 sensor...

The brakes I got from you are going on it. I was going to put them on the TGP but the TGP is going in a garage as soon as the cutty is done. I was waiting on putting it away until I had two other cars to drive.

After the tune-up, maybe a chip, I'm not sure yet. Maybe an underdrive pulley, poly dogbones.

Any more ideas?

I'm also getting a set of heads from the same guy that have less than 100 miles on them. Brand new, not rebuilt. When the head gasket blew on the 2.8 they put new heads on it also. After almost 100 miles it quit again and they found the crank was messed up. That's when they swithed out for a 3.1.

Any more opinions on this????

wow, so you went to the post office 600 times this month?!

joshua

(haha)

sarcasm buddy.......and u quoted the the wrong person......BAHHH HAHA.

Well my guess is something needs to be soldered on the LCD circuit board, i just have no idea what. if it was me and i knew of no other way i would run a creative rig which would be wires to the bulbs behind the LCD. Those wires would run from something thats always on when the car is on, such as the power wire to my HU or something else u can think of

You'll definitely need a 3.1L chip. If they still retained the analog EGR, get an 89 3.1L 5-speed chip. I'm not sure if the 5-speeds were ever used wit the 3.1L, but if not, you might ask Ben (Vegeta) to make you a 3.1L chip out of the 2.8L 5-speed chip.

On the cluster, I've never worked with the GP digital cluster. I believe it's a Delco and not a Denso, so soldering is very likely what it needs. The Cutlass Delco cluster (the base one with no gauges) has funky problems sometimes, and it turns out that it just needs soldering. "Where" is a good question, but for best results, get some flux, and blow a Sunday afternoon resoldering everything!

i guess i was wrong on number one but right on number 2. im gunna try something tomorrow with my broken cluster and idea popped into my head i will get more detailed if it works

I don't know... I know there's one on the back corner of the rear cylinder head, and one in the intake valley close to the oil pump drive. Unfortunately I don't know which is which. I could probably find out when I get home though.

Guest Anonymous

Would the chip cause the temp. and oil dummy lights to be on. They don't stay on all the time. Once the car starts warming up they go off. Then they come and go at random.