Bossman429

I've been meaning to fix my low fuel light that flickers on and off for some time now. I know that I need to resolder that IC chip on the back side of the cluster. So goes my problem.

starting the last few times I've driven the car on occasion the tach and Speedo will die while driving and just sit on zero as if the car is off. If I whack on the dash most of the time they will come back on. If I stop then accelerate again they will start working again.

I don't think this is VSS related because the tach dies too, and I believe the tach gets it's feed from the ECM or ICM.

Another thing is that when I start the car sometimes the coolant guage will max out and stay maxed out until I whack on the dash, and it bounces around while I whack it until it eventually reads actual. As most of you guys know, the coolant temp maxes out when you start the car, then goes down to the actual temp. THis is like the newer Pontiac clusters that max out all the gauges when you start the car, like a calibration thing or just to look cool or something.

Anyways, Should I just solder every joint on the back of the cluster, or can someone point out which IC's control the coolant temp guage, and tach/speedo so I just have to solder them?

It'd be nice to get this thing working properly.

They're kinda hard to find for a TGP aren't they?

This one only has 100K on it, so I would be weary to get a used one. I would assume that it would have the same problems brewing.