Power Door Lock Issues

Curlybandit

Ever since I bought the car I've had some issues with my power door locks. Most of the time they work, but sometimes when I’m in the car or outside using the alarm remote, the power locks won’t work, (it was the same with keyless entry remote before the alarm). Occasionally, only the passenger’s side door unlocks. If I’m in the car and the power lock button doesn’t work, I have to press it anywhere from a couple of times to about a thousand times before it finally starts working. I’d like to get this fixed because it’s really annoying having to manually lock and unlock the doors when it’s acting up. I’ve checked for fuses but they’re all fine. I’m willing to guess that it’s probably a relay or solenoid in the door somewhere, or maybe even a bad connection. Anyone think they know what this could be?

sounds like you need to pull the door panels off and lube the power door lock sliders after cleaning them up. my car has the same problem i need to find some sort of lubercant that doesn't go bad a year after its put on. if anyone else knows of some stuff that will last longer post it here.

My car does that in winter when the mechanism gets cold...I spend 15 mins breaking my fingers jamming them between the door and the roof...only to find out the door didn't unlock lol...

The actuators themselves could also be "on the fritz." But like James said, you should probably lube up the linkages (use some WD-40 to break the rust free first.) Get a good lithium grease (it's like a clear-white color) to lube everything up.

I've used "marine" grease on a manual window actuator once (the big gear that the crank turns) and it seemed to last quite a while. "Marine" grease is the type you use on boat trailers whilst packing the wheel bearings...

thanks for the tip kevin i'll look into that. while i do the power mirror adding to my car. i'll clean up the linkages again and try some marine grease on then.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely think it’s an electrical issue like the actuators because when it’s not working there isn’t even a mechanical sound like it’s trying to open. It just does nothing. When it does work, the locks move smoothly. Anyways, I guess I’ll be opening up the doors to see what’s going on…. :roll: