91grandprixGT

well I have a bit of a problem here, I have a 3.1L 91 grand prix with analog gauges the problem comes in where I was taking my gauge cluster apart and I was gonna change the color from orange to blue, well I got in there pulled the needles and started to take the face off, then stopped cause I figured it wasnt a great idea to pull that off, I put it all back together but my speedometer isnt working correctly, I'm completely lost on this one as I have tried to calibrate it with my other car many times, I will have a friend drive 30mph and I will drive right behind him or beside him but mine reads 25mph and then when hes doing 55 mine reads 40 I switched it from 25-30 while driving but when I stopped it stopped at 5mph, I'm completely dumbfounded on this one, and not sure if this might be the problem but I just did a transmission swap a 1990 lumina tranny swapped in please help nobody else is sure whats wrong....

this is truly agravating, it was just fine before I took it out I'm gonna try a few more things then I'm thinking about doing a digi swap. anyone know if its a direct fit or if its a lot of mod'n

If you remove needles from your cluster, it has to be like truly perfect to go on correctly. Just get a different analogue cluster. Don't do the digital swap, it's not a plug-n-play deal. You have to re-wire, and the current headlight/wiper switchpods aren't compatible with the older cluster, either.

Guest Anonymous

The digital cluster wont function properly in your car.... it will "work" but it doesnt backlight and not all the lights work, and as John said, he wiper pods wont work with it either... and they are very unreliable....

Besides, if you get a digital cluster, I guarantee it won't have the same OD mileage as your car, and they're very expensive to get set to the correct mileage.

this is truly agravating, it was just fine before I took it out I'm gonna try a few more things then I'm thinking about doing a digi swap. anyone know if its a direct fit or if its a lot of mod'n

the GP digital clusters are garbage...stick with analog

ok, so digi it outta the question well I have found a few gauge clusters for around 35, but my question is though will it be a direct plug and work fine or is the fuel gauge gonna need reset, temp, oilpsi? this is really agravating where as it worked right before I did the thing and now its not working I'm thinking there might be more to it, after all I did just do that tranny swap and I seen somewhere you guys put that the vss or something could be the problem

ok, so digi it outta the question well I have found a few gauge clusters for around 35, but my question is though will it be a direct plug and work fine or is the fuel gauge gonna need reset, temp, oilpsi? this is really agravating where as it worked right before I did the thing and now its not working I'm thinking there might be more to it, after all I did just do that tranny swap and I seen somewhere you guys put that the vss or something could be the problem

it will be plug and play

Guest Anonymous

Its not really "plug and play"... like i said, it will "work" but it doesnt backlight unless you put on the headlights, and then its very dim, and you cant use the trip odometer or the e/m if its a concern, becuase the pods are differnt. Also, a few wires are different, so there is no low fuel/check gauges output to the hud...

So, it will "work", but not perfectly unless you swap pods and do some rewiring.

ok, talking about analog now will it reset itself or am I gonna have to move the fuel gauges and crap, also are you all sure it might not be the vss? it is out of a lumina after all just wondering...

ok, talking about analog now will it reset itself or am I gonna have to move the fuel gauges and crap, also are you all sure it might not be the vss? it is out of a lumina after all just wondering...

like I said before it will be plug and play, you don't have to reset anything....

...I would be 99% sure it is a busted ass cluster, because you had it torn apart....

ok well one last check tonight and then its off to the junkyard for me, bastard better not try ripping me off with a "60 dollars" for a gauge cluster if he tries that I will just sneak in and take it myself, not like I dont know how already :D

oh becareful, cause those junkyard dudes flip out and can have ur ass arrested if ur caught, my dad told me that be4 he took me to the j/y, hes a cop and it happends

well to my MAJOR relief I have the speedo within 2mph of the limit now which is good enough for me, I learned my lesson now, never fuk with a pontiacs soft spots. on another note since my transmission swap I noticed my takeoffs are a lot better, kinda nice actually