Exhaust Question

godofthunder

Ok yall, got into a discussion with my dad today. We were working on the Cutlass, changing the oil, inspection, and checking tires and other random things. He was looking at it and was like "damn, we need duals on this". I asked him to do it, but her was like "no, go to a nice muffler shop, itll be like $200".

I think I have decided on using Dynomax Turbo mufflers. He has a set of his 80s regal ( g body), that he will give me.

What my question is, will duals do anything special for me, other than apperance and sound (maybe)? I

was planning just to put one of these up with the tip I already have (chrome 2+ inch y pipe, slant cut). I woudnt mind the duals, but I dont wanan pay if its not going to do much performance difference. BTW, its a 3100. I figure id just loose more low end with duals anyways. That and it will be a PAIN to find a matching tip now.

What yall think?

Jon

I say cut your cat, or get a high flow one, if you want to see performance gains and put the duals on. IMO, almost any car looks better with duals. It will sound good too. If you cut your cat completely, put like a turbo tube there to get that low-end torque back. But, yeah, go for the duals.

Check out my avatar. It is bigger in the first pic of my web site...see below.

Its a 4dr regal. I'd go with smaller ovals if I did it over again.

Bye the way, these are "dynomax super turbos"

Lee...

You dont happen to have a sound clip do you? IM REALLY CURRIOUS ABOUT WHAT EVERYONS CAR SOUNDS LIKE. I heard one with flowmasters, it was ok. Raspy though. I heard the Dynomax Super Turbos are nice on these cars. What engine do you have

Jon

Do not remove your Cat. Whatever else you do, don't do this. Not only is it harmful to the environment, but it will affect driveability to some extent, the electronics in your stock engine are designed to run with a converter. Why do you think that there are so many cat-back systems on the market for various vehicles. To keep them emissions legal and provide some performance gains. I wouldn't know what to reccomend, when my stock mufflers rusted out I installed a system from a wrecked 2001 bonneville ssei, mufflers were larger, and required some mods, Car was only slightly louder, no noticeable improvement in performance.

As long as you O2 sensor is before your Cat, your okay.......I know on the 3.1L, like mine, its on the rear exhaust manifold, so the computer doesnt know any different, and the make fake O2 sensors to trick the stock ECU/PCM into thinkin the emissions are correct. But that is just my $.02......

As long as you O2 sensor is before your Cat, your okay.......I know on the 3.1L, like mine, its on the rear exhaust manifold, so the computer doesnt know any different, and the make fake O2 sensors to trick the stock ECU/PCM into thinkin the emissions are correct. But that is just my $.02......

In my opinion your .02 is not worth much, I'm no tree hugger but no cat? There are other things to consider here. And, the 3100 uses a pre and post converter O2 setup,

GPRACER,

No one said you had to think my two cents was even worth that much, and as far as Im concerned your $.02 cents isnt worth me taking to the time to reply to. Yeah I have no Cat and I think my car sounds damn good with out it, but Im not about argue about the environment here, theres no sense in starting this argument. I was merely giving my opinion, so who in hell are you tell me my opinion isnt worth much?? Is your opinion the ONLY one in the entire world?? Didnt think so.......if you still want to argue about the "other things to consider" you can PM me, Im not going to take up room on this board with arguments.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just showing another side to the whole debate. No need to get all upset. I just do not agree with the no-cat idea. I did not say that my opinion was the only one, I just do not agree with yours, and that is allowed. If you think that your car sounds good without a cat well so beit, it's your car.

okay, I guess I miss-read your previous post, I didnt mean to get all up set, its been a real long week, I agree with bringing another side to his question. Again, Im sorry and I realize we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Im not planning to remove my Cat at all, or my resonator for that matter. I did find some more tips like the one I have already, so I may start calling to see how much it will cost if I already have the mufflers. ANYONE HAVE CLIPS OF THE 3.1 with Dynomax?

Jon

Mine is a 3.1. I had a bad cat and put a flow tech glasspack on it where the cat was. I don't have a sound clip. Before the glass pack...(it wasn't in the original set up)... it had the most awesome idle but got very raspy when I gave it gas. After the glasspack the rasp was gone but the exhaust was considerably quieter...which is good in reality. It still has a nice deep sounding idle but quieter. I figure it will get louder as it wears out. I get some sound into the interior that I like but I like hearing the motor grawl when I accelerate. Before the glasspack all I could hear was the exhaust.

If you keep the cat and resonator I believe you will enjoy the dynomax super turbos. Keep in mine though that they are NOT stainless and will wear out quicker. I made the decision based on how long I feel my car can continue. Mine's a 91 and has about 150k on it.

It will still be louder than stock if i keep both the resonator and cat. I orig. was going to remove the resonator, but I heard that was used more to get rid of the raspy sound, than to quiet.

Its hard to explain what im looking for. My mom had a 91 Lumina, and stock, that thing was LOUD, but enjoyable.She said it was stock, I actually think there was a hole somewhere. But there wasnt. You could hear it start up, and coming down the road.

I want a nice, smooth, deep idle....almost like stock now, but amplified. Then, get loud as the RPMs rise. But when crusing down the interstate, not having a deafening exhaust note to give me a headache.

Also, i found another tip just like mine at pep boys yesterday. Im going to start calling arround on prices, to see what duals may cost already having the muffflers and tips, only needing a split and them to be hung. I just wanna know what yall think is it worth it.

Jon

do the super turbo's on stock pipe. leave the reasonator.. or remove it.. the super trubos dampen very well allready. my beretta with 2.25" catback, carsound 2.25" cat, and super trubo has a nice deep tone.. I don't have a resonator on it nor does it need one. a real resonator is used for elimiating rasp. but like i said the the Super trubo's will eliminate any raspyness.

Get the Super trubo's.

RedZ