fish tail

dohc v6

well coming back from the library i had a little adrenalin rush. so i was doing about 40 and the turn arrow was still green. so i got on it and going through the turn i must have hit a bump and the back end whiped out and the front stayed in tact. but it felt very wierd i have never felt that before. so. is there any way to decrease that or is it beacuse i had nothing in the bck or why would the hole car lose control.

You're crazy. You must have hit a bump. There's no way you lost it at 40. It's amazing what people do to get that damn green arrow. :lol:

I fishtailed my car at a much lesser speed. How can he be crazy?

I don't see how you fishtailed at that low of speed. Oh! shit! you guys are talking MPH right? I'm talking KM. I am Canadian sorry! :lol: :oops:

Get better tires, fill the car with gas, dont hit the same bump lol, I'm actually quite surprised with how the ass end grips on my Lumina while cornering fast.

I take a turn through an approach off the freeway everyday at 70KM or so when there are no cars coming or turning...I can feel the ass end just starting to go out, but I've never had full out spin - winter is a whole other story :wink:

For right turns I can manage to take them at 50KM when there is no gravel or any cars coming in the other lane (just in case)...and only felt the back end go out when I tried that in gravel lol....

I to have done quite a bit to make it through a right arrow, or the yellow arrow...or just plain through the yellow light to turn left :leaving:

- Jeff L.

Guest Anonymous

hmmm... ive never fishtailed my cars like that. once, and only once, i swung out on ice... but ive been in some really bad turning situations at about 40 or 50 mph, and the car has always been stable. how old are your tires?

the only time I fishtail my car is in winter, the e-brake gets a workout. on dry pavement, my tires stick so good I dont think I could fishtail at all (even though I run 2 diff sets of wheels, my rims then the factory ones in the winter which are almost illegal cuz the tread is basically down to the wear bar)

Lol, my uncle drove to Saskatoon one time with the original tires on his 2000 Acura TL, and the tires were worn down past the wear bar lol...they looked like racing slicks!!

True about FWD...before the motor blew up on the Suburban you could whip the back end around on dry pavement when turning right or left if you weren't careful lol...and getting something that heavy to go straight again isn't fun.

I can do that in the RX-7 as well...except it doesn't have power steering so it is harder to get it back as well lol..

You could ask my friend about that one "U" turn I did in it...it involved flooring, having the tires cranked hard to the left and expecting it be easy to bring the wheel back like my Lumina - oops, no power steering lol...oh well nothing happened form it so we laugh about that night a lot now lol

- Jeff L.

Fishtailing = fun! Winter time and the e-brake are fun times. On dry pavement, I've never tried swinging the backend of a FWD car around. RWD, oh yeah, everyday when I drive our Chevy Pickups for work hehe... now that's a fun time!

I fish tail on a daily basis. Just give mine a little gas and the ass end swings right out there. Although, I have 345 HP and back wheel drive may have something to do with it. :mrgreen:

yeah i had no gas in the car. and my tires are brand new. i know what happened. when i was turning the front end kinda skided over the bump and it could not grip and the back end i dont remember if it came out. but it was fun and very scary. i need to put my stb brace back on. well i have taken other turns at that speed and nothing so i guess it was the bump and the reason for no gas.

The Grand Prix with FE1 was an oversteer nightmare. I've never driven an FE3 car in that manner, so I can't give you any experience on those, but the Bonneville corners suprisingly well for a car it's size. I'm wholly impressed. Same goes for the '97-03 GTP suspension. Pretty impressive for a family car.

I haven't exactly gotten much of a chance to abuse my GP around corners yet, but my roomate (ex-owner) tells me that the car WILL cut sideways under trail-braking or sudden, mid-corner lift throttle. These are both controlable though (and fun).......

Apparently what ISN'T very controllable is the spooky snap-oversteer that it picks up in sudden transitions (rapid side to side, such as going around a tight "S" corner).............I gather this thing can be a real underwear filler.

And since I want to add an Addco rear anti-roll bar (when/if it's gets redesigned), I wonder how much worse this will make it :?:

Guess I'll actually have to learn to drive :wink:

BTW.........to the thread originator:

I'll bet you were on your brakes when you turned into that corner or lifted in the middle........both would cause what happened.

i just blaze through green turn lights all the time my car has yet to fishtail on me and there are bumps in that turn :lol: i don't have a clue to what my suspension is either so don't ask :oops:

My car is quite fine w/o the brakes...

When I step 'firmly' at 60+mph - my ass ends gets all squirrly and decides it wants to go another route...

I cant even fish tail in the rain when the roads are all wet with old tires, the front of the car just plows straight if I turn the wheel hard to either direction....... Im guessing thats prolly not good either