Bad Day for the Lumina

sonyman87

So far today

9:30am start car take kids to daycare + pickup my dad to go eat

10:00am arive at McDs eat

10:40am arive at post office

10:58am leave post office run out of gas 1! ONE bock from the gas station! SOB.

11:05 Arive at Gas station via pushing and dodging traffic with hazord lights.

11:30 Still at gas station, the car fails to start. No fuel preasure, checked at injectors via the releaf valve. very little or no preasure preasent.

11:40 ride arives to take us home pick up another vehicle. I buy a fuel filter and i headed out back to the car.

12:10 Fuel filter installed then the car started WOOT!

12:11 Car died when using gas pedal! SOB

12:15 still trying to figure it out, dies with load on motor

12:16 jump backinto truck, head to local parts stores for Fuel pump

12:45 Find a nice Carter pump and strainer for $80 not cheepest but good

1:30 return to car, starts up keeping rpms under 3k and drive to local autoshop. Cant get to it until tomarrow.

Im suppose to be on my way to STL right now. and i start my new job Wensday at 8am! My backup car is 30 miles away and uninsured so im barrowing one of my parents backup cars

Shit happens + its only the 2nd time in the past 3 weeks my car has been to a shop. Im just hopeing that the fuel pump is all that is wrong with it this time.

Return the Carter pump!!!!!! That's the one I just put into my sisters Cutlass, and it doesn't hold fuel pressure with key on/engine off. The only problem it really causes is hard starting when you start it the first time of the day, but that's something I'd rather not have happen.

i've replaced the regulator when I did the pump, and I tested the FPR which is good.

Return the Carter pump!!!!!! That's the one I just put into my sisters Cutlass, and it doesn't hold fuel pressure with key on/engine off. The only problem it really causes is hard starting when you start it the first time of the day, but that's something I'd rather not have happen.

i've replaced the regulator when I did the pump, and I tested the FPR which is good.

is that for all models? or was that a defect? its a little late to switch out the pumps there is no way i could swap it out with another one with the car already sitting in the shop and they don’t open until im at work in the morning..

Botch, and some generic brand were the only other options. NO AC Delco, No Oem available without a week or more wait. <the suck town>

I couldn't tell ya. I have the same pump as you (obviously) but QC probably sucks in that company. After I installed it I got feedback from a couple mechanics about the shit luck they've had with them.

we refuse to use carter pumps in cars we get in at work, after so long you get sick of doing the job twice.

I had a fuel pump problem on my wife's old 96 Lumina a couple of years ago. It was completely intermittant, so I just figured it was the fuel pump (since the same symptoms popped up on her old 93 Cavalier 6 months earlier.) After changing the fuel pump, a day went by and the same shit started happening again. I noticed that I could get it to run if I tapped on the FP relay with the head of a screwdriver. After this discovery, I pulled the FP relay, sanded down the terminals, and bent them out a tiny bit then reinstalled it. Problem never came back after that...

The specs that Carter holds their products to are quite... slack.

Slack....they wouldn't qualify for a piss pump when I turn 90.

Exactly. Ever work with a Carter carb? Yikes. A chunk of granite with holes drilled in it would function better.

well i guess i just got lucky like win the lotto lucky b/c it holds fuel preasure when the car is off and seems to be doing one hell of a job so far. still to early to tell about reliability after 30days of no trouble i think by then if it hasnt failed yet then it dont think it will. BTW either my ass dyno is broken or it actualy helped my cars mid-topend :P I will try and get a g-tech sometime to see how its running soon for a better comparison.

as for actual numbers on the fuel preasure

the stock pump held 35psi at idle and stayed at 35psi or less while reving the motor never went up

the carter pump held 34psi at idle and went 42psi+ at 2000rpms no need to rev higher

im guessing we are suppose to get 45-47psi above 5000rpms no idea. all i know is that it went to 42+ after 2grand and up.

Typically, an electric fuel pump doesn't make your car faster.
if the motor wasnt getting enough gas then i think it would. if you remember i posted a while ago about the car feeing slower. It just feels like the pump brought it back to life