Daytime Running Lights, 89 GP

bve32k

Hello all, I have a 1989 Grand Prix SE and it has day time running lights. The car was originally from Canada and that’s why it has it on there. I would like to get rid of them :( , but can't seem to figure out where the control module for it is at. Could anyone help?

Thanks

I figured it was the wrong forum, but I was told to come to this site and try from Michiganmodded. It would be to easy if there was just a fuse. The only fuse the controls the lights it will shut them off completely.

Thanks though

should be able to just click one click or so on the parking brake where just the brake lite comes one thats how most gms turn theres off....

dont worry about the parking brake being on GM makes a little slack so you can turn them off.... it should say right in the owners manual how to if thats not the right way..

Someone else told me to do something with the parking brake too, but even if the car is in park the headlights stay on. In order to turn off the headlights I would have to turn off the car.

Someone else told me to do something with the parking brake too, but even if the car is in park the headlights stay on. In order to turn off the headlights I would have to turn off the car.

Not "in park".. push the parking brake pedal in just a little bit, just so it clicks once.

The DRL Disable Kit is only for 1997 - 2003. I don't think my car has the diode box because I have been looking for something like it for a little over a year now. In the clubGP.com forum they told me to find the light blue wire in the head lamp and disconnect it and they shouldn't work anymore. Haven't gone out and tried yet though.

Thanks for the help though!

The control module should be somewhere near the steering column, mounting to the bracket. There's a black plastic one that's for the cruise control, and should be another that maybe looks like a heatsink that has the voltage dropping diodes. I'm not sure on how it looks because I've never seen one in person.

If yanking the module takes care of it, I'll buy it off you! I want auto headlights.

If I can find it sure i'll sell it to you. Not like I want it anyway. I'll have a look at it today after school and see if I can find it.

Here's a couple pictures of the black box I found. It must be the Cruise Control.

interior_driver_blackbox.jpg

interior_driver_side.jpg

Yeah, I think that's the cruise control. I don't think the DRL module is too far. I can check my service manual at home if you don't find it before then.

I figured it was the wrong forum, but I was told to come to this site and try from Michiganmodded.

he just meant that you posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

welcome to w-body.com , hopefully you will stick around

No, the headlights will stay off. If you push the parking brake one click, you will have to turn the key off, then when you turn it back on, the DRL and the Auto headlights will not be active. You would have to turn the lights on manually. I actually don't mind the DRL, it's nice to have the lights come on for you when it starts to get dark.

No, the headlights will stay off. If you push the parking brake one click, you will have to turn the key off, then when you turn it back on, the DRL and the Auto headlights will not be active. You would have to turn the lights on manually. I actually don't mind the DRL, it's nice to have the lights come on for you when it starts to get dark.

BUT, do the tails light come on so when its dark you are not one of those cars with head lights on but a dark tail light-less butt :lol:

Jeff M

BUT, do the tails light come on so when its dark you are not one of those cars with head lights on but a dark tail light-less butt :lol:

Jeff M

Yea, when it gets dark enough outside, a sensor triggers the headlights to turn on. It has the same effect as when you turn the headlights on manually, just they turn on and off with the ignition. It is basically Twilight Sentinel, just you can't have a shut off delay for the lights when you turn off the key.

During the day the headlights stay on and there are no tail lights on. There is a sensor which detects that it is dark outside and turns on all the lights.

Alright, that worked..Thanks..I wasn't understanding what you ment because my e-brake is broke. The line is all rusted and it won't let me use the e-brake. I forced it though and kind of broke one of the gears on it, but the lights don't come on anymore. :D

Dude, the DRL sound cool, i wish my TGP had it :? cause id like my lights to come on automaticly and turn of automaticly, cause im not into leaving them on, and the HUD dims when the lights are on during the day, cause my Drivers Ed teacher taught us to always turn our headlights on so people can see u

I like the DRL feature on my Lumina too...lol, but when I get in someone else's car at night I always forget the lights for about half a block lol...

- Jeff L.

I like the DRL feature on my Lumina too...lol, but when I get in someone else's car at night I always forget the lights for about half a block lol...

- Jeff L.

Probably, with a bit of work, and all the pieces parts lol...

Probably need a DRL module, light sensor on the dash, do some mild fabricting and wiring to install it into the existing wireing...

But mostly would have to get the parts from a canadian vehicle as I dunno if DRL was even the available in the states - could be wrong.

- Jeff L.