Exhaust Basics

Rabbi

well duh about the no pipe lol

but what i mean is, What is the diffrence between 2" , 2.25" and 3" piping?

Will this matter how my car sounds? Im going to throw some 2" magnaflows on it next week, But before i do i want to know if i should replace more of the pipe with it, But if it wont really make a diffrence in the sound of the car i wont touch it.

sometimes making the exhaust pipe bigger will actually lose power and if you have the 3100, 2.25" is all you need, if you start going much beyond that, you will start loosing power, but mostly if you want that "tone" you can remove the resanator (however you spell it :lol: ) and put a muffler that suits your choice

Stock is 2.25", this is the best set-up by far for Z34's.

Stock 3" downpipe, 2.5" piping, hi-flow cat (or no cat but it'll stink), a resonator of some kind (it'll pop otherwise), and Magnaflow mufflers, with a exhaust tip of your choice.

mine measured at 2.25, and i got one of the 2 magnaflow mufflers (#12246, aluminized 2.5 in/outlets)and awaiting the 2nd one. then 2.5 mandrel piping from the cat(high flow, silly!) to the mags.

I just recently measured the factory pipes on my 93 Z34 and came out with the following.

2.5" from the motor to the cat

2.25" from the cat through the resonator to the Y

2" from the Y to the mufflers

I'm getting my exhaust done very soon. I plan to do 2.5" from the motor to the Y, and then 2.25" from the Y to the mufflers.

The components (already purchased) I will be using are:

Magnaflow Hi-flow stainless cat 2.5"

Vibrant stainless resonator 2.5"

(2) Magnaflow stainless mufflers offset/center 2.25"

(2) 04 GP tips (the ones everyone seems to hate, but I like them)

Just have to get it to the exhaust shop and get the stainless piping bent up(mandrel) and everything installed.

The above system is perfect for most Z34s. 2.5" motor to Y, with a resonator, and then 2.25" to the tips with dual Magnaflow mufflers.

I, personally, will be going just a bit larger in some area's.

The above system is perfect for most Z34s. 2.5" motor to Y, with a resonator, and then 2.25" to the tips with dual Magnaflow mufflers.

I, personally, will be going just a bit larger in some area's.

"most Z34s."

Your car, becuz of the tranny/enigne work, would be best with a 3" split into dual 2.5s, and the same system would be good for my car (Tony's) as well.

2.25" is the stock size????

i was told its 2" ?????

its a 91 z34 with the stock mufflers and a 3.4 motor.

Dude, my new cavalier came stock with 2.25in piping.... :lol: The Z should at least be that, right? :)

My new one goes like this

Stock exhaust manifolds

2.5" Ypipe(crossover)

3" downpipe

2.5" into res into Ypipe

2.25" Ypipe into 2.5" mufflers into 3" tips

I just re-redid the exhaust on the GTP. 2.5 the entire way, highflow cat, no resonator, dual Borla high flow muffs, just need to find some decent tips yet.. Little louder then I though it would be but is sound meaner then hell. I'm thinking some twin resonator tips will mellow it out just perfectly.

Dan.