E85

supreme_style21

Pretty sure there isn't a way to make our vehicles burn E85 fuel, is there? I've seen miracles in the past with alternatives fuels.. so I figured I'd ask.

I don't know. My avalanche can be made to use E85 by swapping out the fuel pump and flipping a switch somewhere. There is no place to get E85 here, so there is no point in doing it.

I'll look up the web site that lists E85 compatible vehicles.

I've searched for the vehicles, thats easy to find. I was looking for some sort of conversion kit, but:

Can a Vehicle Be Converted to Run on Ethanol (E85)?

Yes, it is possible, but there are currently no aftermarket conversion kits that meet EPA standards.

The standards were developed in response to numerous alternative fuel conversion vehicles that were actually emitting more pollutants then when operating on gasoline. The EPA established Memorandum 1A, requiring that conversion equipment complete a certification process documenting that exhaust emissions of converted alternative fuel vehicles have as clean or cleaner exhaust emissions than when they were in their original gasoline powered state. The certification process is expensive and time consuming.

There are no known efforts to develop and certify ethanol conversion equipment. Fortunately, the domestic automakers are producing several E85 vehicles at no incremental cost over the gasoline only vehicles and conversion kits are essentially unnecessary.

If our engines could burn ethanol (wood alcohol??)..what would the benefits be?? Also, would there be any draw backs??

- Jeff L.

If our engines could burn ethanol (wood alcohol??)..what would the benefits be?? Also, would there be any draw backs??

- Jeff L.

Its an average of 20 cents cheaper and its a cleaner burning fuel.

The fuel pump's are probably a bit different to allow the flow of the ethanol through there. Maybe it is a different viscosity, or else maybe ethanol will eat away at the fuel pump? :shrug: Really just guess's more than anything right now, but something to look into.

- Jeff L.

Its an average of 20 cents cheaper and its a cleaner burning fuel.

Thanks for the info...

All I know is I avoid buying ethanol blended fuel because apparnetly it isn't good for my car...I honestly don't remember who told me that...so I'd avoid straight ethanol....however the benefit of cheaper fuel is promising.

- Jeff L.

http://www.e85fuel.com/information/vin.htm

Quotes from the web site:

There is only one major additional part that is included on an FFV - the fuel sensor that detects the ethanol/gasoline ratio. A number of other parts on the FFV's fuel delivery system are modified so that they are ethanol compatible. The fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injectors, computer system, anti-siphon device and dashboard gauges have been modified slightly. Alcohols are corrosive. Therefore, any part that comes in contact with the fuel has been upgraded to be tolerant to alcohol. Normally, these parts include a stainless steel fuel tank and Teflon-lined fuel hoses.

Gasoline-ethanol blends containing up to 10% volume ethanol may be used in any vehicle. The addition of ethanol boosts octane and, because it is an oxygenate, ethanol contributes to a more complete fuel combustion resulting in reduced emissions of carbon monoxide and other ozone-forming emissions. All major auto manufacturers approve the use of up to 10% volume ethanol.

In fact, some manufacturers, such as General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, Nissan, Range Rover, and Suzuki recommend the use of oxygenated fuels and/or reformulated gasoline for their clean burning characteristics. Blends above 10% volume are not approved by the auto manufacturers or the EPA for use in standard gasoline engine vehicles.

The Energy Policy Act of 1992 also recognizes E85 (a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% unleaded gasoline) as an alternative fuel. In order to operate on E85, vehicles need to be compatible with alcohol use. The conversion cost to make FFVs compatible with E85 typically includes upgrades to the fuel system components, the addition of a fuel sensor, and reprogramming the EPOM (computer chip) in the ECM/PCM (electronic control module/power train control module).

The website also mentions DECREASED fuel economy, so this is also a downside.

I had wondered if the ethanol would decrease parts life. So, as for the ecu, that would have to be messed with some as well, correct? Wonder if the guys at gmpcm.com could mess with that some.

Sounds like the PCm needs to be changed ... I've also been readin that the lines and such need to be replaced due to the alcohol content.

I think personally that new engines that have been designed to run on this E85 will have very good results with emissions and economy.

However, for the engines that were not designed to run on it I think that it may cause more grief then what it may be worth in the long run...just my opinion though

- Jeff L.