Car Idled @ 2500 RPMs this morning!!!

gmrulz4u

It seems like for the longest time, my car has had a HIGH idle after starting it in the morning. Usually it would be anywhere from 1400-1800 RPMs. BUT, this morning, it was idling at 2500 RPMs!!!! I was really bothered by this! It was really loud as well!

The RPMs would always drop to normal if I put it in Drive, so I thought I'd just put it in Drive and then back in Park, but that didn't work. It did drop to about 1200 RPMs in Drive but went RIGHT back-up to 2500 when I put it back in Park.

Of course, after driving for about 10 minutes, the idle was back normal, in both Park and Drive...

Anyone know what the hell was going on here??

THANKS!:)

when i start my car in this extreme coldness it does everything you described except it wont rev that high. i dont know what it revs at exactly but if u let it run and warm up for a certain amt of time the rpms will gradually go down

I'm not saying this is it, but you may want to check for a vacume leak.

Aslo, clean the IAC every now & then. I noticed a good change in the idle. Much more stable. Just in case you didn't know the Iac valve is in screwed into the throttlebody. look for two small torx head screws.

It looks like a small cylinder with a cone shape at the end of it, and it has a spring around the cylinder. Use some spray brake cleaner ( I just used starting fluid). If that don't help, look at the TPS sensor.

Hope this helps ....

This is also a dead giveaway for the leaky intake manifold gasket. Time to get some Clean-R-Carb and spray around the gasket, see if the idle changes. If it does, you found the problem!

That's exactly what my Olds did when it was bad. The colder it got, the higher it idled cold. Then the RPMs came down when it warmed up and the manifold expanded.

2500 is a bit high...but the computer is set to idle higher than normal in cold weather. My car will go to 2k on the gauge, which is probably closer to 1800. I wouldnt base any diagnostic work on an extreme cold weather occurence.