Auto glass replacement

93CutlassSupreme

hey guys

some dipshit shattered my rear window and i'm trying to replace it myself...but....

i've gotten most of the window pieces out, but how do i remove the adhesive around the perimiter of the glass? i can't get the outer ring/perimiter/edge of glass where it meets the weatherstripping/metal window frame and adhesive off the car.

i tried cutting it using wire like my service manual says, but the wire keeps on breaking, and a knife barely cuts it.

a guy i work with told me about a tool that glass shops use to remove windows, how can i get this tool?

or, how can i get this shit off?

thanks

Get some thick wire like piano wire and get it into the adhesive shit, and you should be able to get it off. That's what we did for my corner window and it worked great.

The tool is a power tool, cuts through some serious shit. It takes a skilled hand...

Hrm, mabey if you did a serch on google, it coudl give you detailed instructions on how to do it? Why not, they have every-other peice of info.

look for stores that sell a very long handled tool with a prety sturdy razor blade on it. it works great with i pull windshields for just cutting up the adhesive. then get some heavy duty piano wire, that makes the job prety easy too. all is best if the adhesive is warm, a nice sunny day and it will come right out. otherwise try a hairdryer or heat gun.

Maybe this will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=303&item=4376156962&rd=1

Yeah, a power tool sounds like it would be easiest.

Definitely leave some old adhesive for the new to stick to, and use urethane adhesive. Don't use butyl. I think there are warnings in the service manual not to use butyl, but just in case there aren't, I'm warning you now.

Kevin the tool that Shawn linked you to works well for front windshields that have massive curves in them. The hardened bullshit your trying to cut through is urethane and a primer on the very inner ring. The best tool is what Chris(white93z34) stated....here's a link to what we used at Safelite

http://www.pipeknife.com/pipeknife.asp

That will give you adequate leverage that you'll need, but very careful that you don't end up a bloody mess doing it! Goodluck

thanks for the help guys, Murray's had a tool just like the one Shawn linked to

it still sucked ass using that tool but it got the job done