Alternator Harness Question???

93GTP

I have ordered a new CS-130D alternator for my 1993 GTP. I was wondering what exactly is involved with making the wiring work? How many wires are in the connector for the CS-130 in my car now?

What do I need, a 2 or 4 wire plug for the 130D?

I was wanting to get the CS-130D for my 92 Lumina. Whats different about the plugs? I thought the CS-130D was suppose the plug right up since it was replacing the CS-130.

No the plugs are definately different. Although they are both 4 wire, or at least can have up to 4 wires/pins in the harness. What I'm not sure of is how many wires come out of the plug on my 93 GTP. For all the times I've replaced the alternator you think I'd remember. I'm thinking I probably have a 4 wire connector since I have a voltmeter in the instrument cluster.

I need to know how many pins are in my connector in order to find the proper one from a donor car...I'm hoping to find one tomorrow at one of the salvage yards. Can someone who has done a CS-130 to 130D swap help me out here?

I only see adapters for cs-130 to cs-144. I don't see what adapter you're talking about. Based on what I read about the CS-130D, I assumed it was a newer/better replacement for the CS-130.

1994-2000 Delco-Remy CS-130D

Series Internal Regulator Alternator

The CS-130D alternator was introduced as the

standard application for most GM vehicles. It

came standard as 100 & 105 amp models.

Although it only adds a "D" to the CS-130 designation,

the CS-130D alternator is completely different

from the earlier CS-130 series (shown below). None

of the parts are interchangeable. 1994 to 1996 GM used

both the CS-130 and CS-130 D. You must visually check

to see which unit you have if your vehicle is within the

transition years.

Improvements over the CS-130 Alternator include:

· More open design for better air flow

· Larger bearings

· Dual Internal Fans to increase air volume

· Regulator and Rectifier located on the outside,

away from stator and rotor heat.

Here are two schematic pics of the CS130 vs the CS130D.

Here's the CS130 (From my 91 Cutlass service manual)

CS130-Wiring.jpg

And here's the CS130D (From a 99 Regal service manual)

CS130D-wiring.jpg

From the way it looks in the schematic it looks like you just need to move the terminal from the "S" terminal to the "F" terminal.

I may be trying this swap myself since my alternator is going out as well.....(again)

Great find... I knew it could be that bad to switch the alternators. I guess one might need to get the plug that goes with the CS-130D from the donor car also since 93GTP said the plug are different. Maybe with improved design, the idle amps would improve or find a high amp alternator from another car.

The question is do they sell the reverse of that adapter, going from a 130 to 130D connector? Instead of 130D to 130/144. Although for how much effort is required I'm just going to snip one out of parts car and join it up to my existing harness.

Sean, thanks for your input with the wiring diagrams...I was just looking at my service manual and apparently it is a 2 wire connector on my 130 right now, so I'll just get a regular 2 wire connector at the salvage yard for a 130D. What I didn't have was the pinout for the 130D connector so now I should be set.

Oh, and you meant from the "S" to the "F" terminal right? That's the way it looks to me. Can you get a pic that shows a further continuation of the wiring schematic for the 130D? I want to verify where those wires lead so I definitely get it right. The "L" lead eventually makes its way to the instrument cluster with the 130 in my wiring diagram. It looks like that should be the case with the 130D as well, but I want to make sure.

Since we're talking about swapping alternators... what about the skinny 8 gauage wire from the back of the alternator to the starter and from the starter to the battery. Should that be upgraded to 4 gauage wire for better power flow or would that be over kill?

Since we're talking about swapping alternators... what about the skinny 8 gauage wire from the back of the alternator to the starter and from the starter to the battery. Should that be upgraded to 4 gauage wire for better power flow or would that be over kill?

Actually, it is a good idea. The thicker the wire means there will be less resistance in the flow from the alt. to the starter, then from the starter to the battery. The big problem with that is that there is a fusible link in that power wire. You would have to figure out how big that is, and put a fuse in line somewhere. Not all that hard, but just a thought.

Oh, and you meant from the "S" to the "F" terminal right?

Whoops! yes that is what I ment.

Here's the full pic of the CS130D wiring

Here

Thanks again Sean, that schematic confirms what I was looking for. The "L" lead is the same for both the 130 and 130D, making it's way to the instrument cluster.

I'm also upgrading the wire from the alt to starter and starter to batt to 4 guage, but I know it's going to be a royal pita to do.

Sean (or anybody else), do you have or can you get a pic of the pinout for the CS-130D connector? I have the pinout for my 130. It's towards the back of my service manual under the "Electrical Diagnosis" section. Now I just need a pic of the 130D connector that shows what pins are P, L, F, S so I can get the wiring right. I'm putting my new alternator in tomorrow.

Oh, and you meant from the "S" to the "F" terminal right?

Whoops! yes that is what I ment.

Here's the full pic of the CS130D wiring

Here

• 2 weeks later...