5 speed replacement shift knob

Justin

I was at Big Lots recently and found some 8 ball shift knobs in the automotive section. They are the cheap one size fits all style, plastic inserts and set screws. For $.99 I picked one up, what the hell. I pulled the knob off of my '89 CS with the flat bar shifter, slid the 8 ball on there, and it was an almost perfect fit. I turned the chrome base so one of the set screws was at the back edge of the bar and tightened it, and there's no way it comes off. I did have to apply some super glue between the black plastic 8 ball and the chrome base, there was some movement there, but not anymore. I'll definitely be going back to pick one up for the Z34. I guess I just thought I'd throw this out there for any 5 speed W drivers that don't have the round shifter handle. By the way, it knocked about an inch of height off the CS style shifter, the 8 ball is hollow almost all the way to the top and that's how far the handle goes into it. I'm not all for the 8 ball design, but I love the shape and shorter stroke it gave me. One shortcoming is the boot doesn't reach all the way up to it, but an aftermarket boot would be needed for any different knob, so that's to be expected.

P.S. They have Knight Rider flashing red lights there for $.99 as well, I picked up a set for the Prix convertible, I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

GET ME A KNIGHT RIDER THINGY TOO!!!

I am planning on the 5 speed in my Lumina.. However.. I am getting me either a Camaro shift knob, or this one:

knob.jpg

Thought it looked cool, even if it IS Carbon Fiber..

But I WANT the knoght rider flashamabob!

EDIT: Get me 2 :P :D :D :D

Hey, Last owner of your car.. What did he use to paint the interior trim? I will need to refinish my dash trim after I modify it, so.. I figurte that will accent all the black nicely..

I think he used a spay gun. All trim peices were painted professionally. 3-6 coats of paint, then I think about 2 clear?
Damn I used Krylon plastic paint and looks the same only $ .99!

I plan on getting the threaded shifter from the junkyard pretty soon. It was the only part I didn't get. I heard that Beretta shifters fit but have a shorter throw, anyone here this before?

I think he used a spay gun. All trim peices were painted professionally. 3-6 coats of paint, then I think about 2 clear?

I plan on getting the threaded shifter from the junkyard pretty soon. It was the only part I didn't get. I heard that Beretta shifters fit but have a shorter throw, anyone here this before?

no, but I would consider it if the throw wasn't already shortened.

FYI, Beretta shifter will not work with your cables and will not fit properly.

I would also check into Fiero shift levers. I know there are a few different ones that can be found in them. (position and lenght differences)

When I put that fiero shift knob on the cutlass it shortened the lever by about an inch.