Some cleaner... Help!

f_399

went to the lube center awhile ago to buy some oil and this guy was selling me some service

apparently it cleans the fuel injectors or something like that

they attach it to the throttle body and he says you see all the build up go out and you see the smoke

i really dont know what he is talking about

its 39.99

havent done any fuel injector cleaning of some sort so i was kinda thinking if this was the way to go

If it goes into the throttle body, all it will clean is the carbon out of your intake. Has to hook up to the valve on your injector rail in order to go thru the injectors to clean them.

Hell, just buy some CRC Fuel Injector cleaner and put it in your gas tank with the next fill, lots cheaper and more effective than the BS he's selling you.

do i need to clean the carbon out of my intake?

i have used that fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank, dont really know if it worked

what are signs of bad injectors or dirty throttle body?

I think what he's trying to sell you is a glorified top engine cleaner. Buy some seafoam or GM Top Engine Cleaner and pop the brake booster vacuum line off of your brake booster, get a funnel, and slowly dump the stuff in, using the throttle to keep the engine from dying.

When you're just about out of TEC, dump the rest in and let the motor die, and let it sit like that for around ten minutes. Then jump in it, and drive like a bat out of hell and enjoy smoke screening the people behind you!! :lol:

Bat_Out_of_Hell.gif

nope none of that, i just want to do all the maintenance i can to prevent the car from doing all that in the future

i dont want to wait for all those symptoms to start maintenance?

its my first car and i really really want to take good care of it

Well....then your best bet would be to go to a GM dealership and have them flush your injectors with a 30% Top Engine Cleaner 70% gasoline mix. I have done this to several vechiles.including my own. They run pretty good after this....if of course there are in fact dirt and deposits in the injectors. I would also have them replace the fuel filter. Wynn's flush works alright...but not that great.

As far as your transmission is concerned......pull you dipstick out (red handle) and take a look at your fluid. If its dark you should pry get it flushed. The GM dealer can also flush your transmission for you. Just be sure to have them NOT use any additives. The only goal is to replace the fluid in the transmission. You might also want to have them drop the pan and replace the transmission filter.Typically, I would wait until 100k miles to do this.

Your coolant.......Dexcool is good for 100k miles or 5 or 6 years. It would also probally be a good idea to get your cooling system (not just radiator) flushed. Also specifiy for them to not use any additives.

Other than that, thats pretty much it for the *heavy* side of maintance. Don't worry about your power steering fluid till 150k.....the same applies to brake fluid. Just use a good engine oil and filter and to change them regualry.