Problem with Digital upgrade (C13)

joey b

my Digital dash has a wire in location C13. How do I go about hooking this wire up? It doesn't come from the original cluster, right? So do I need to run a wire to the PCM? The wire that ends in C14, D12 don't have a white stripe. What gives?

What color is it? Refres my memory..

EDIT: If I am reading ypur thinnmabob right, you have the connection currently in C13 right? If that is the case, it doesn't get hooked up..

I'm going to be an ass like everyone else and tell you to use the SEARCH tool becuase this has come up before.
His question isn't near as common as yours was, noob!

:lol: and everyone asks about the shifter knobs once a week it seems like because the morons forget how to take the knob off.

Joey's question is a basic one that steve answered i think so this thread is done but we don't know till we hear from Joey :shrug:

solid orange would be for the electronic tach. It should be spliced into the orange wire going to the ALDL diagnostic connector. Or you can just stuff it into the connector and tape it there like I did.

The base clusters with analog tachs use a white wire that goes out into the engine bay. That one you wouldn't connect anymore.

As far as complaining about the search engine all the time......that gets really old!!!!!

We are here to comunicate with people. If you are anti people....use the search but let those of us who are people people...talk to people. That IS the fun of this whole forum.

solid orange would be for the electronic tach. It should be spliced into the orange wire going to the ALDL diagnostic connector. Or you can just stuff it into the connector and tape it there like I did.

that what it is called i forgot what the fuck it was called :lol:

We are here to comunicate with people. If you are anti people....use the search but let those of us who are people people...talk to people. That IS the fun of this whole forum.

Yeah!

And as a relative noob, sometimes you just can't find what you want using 'search' (like if you don't know the exact acronyms for stuff, and sometimes a really 'useful' post might not have the search terms you'd expect in it anyway...)

Don't mean to criticise, this is the most helpful forum I've seen in many a long year. :D but sometimes there's almost an automatic "Doh! Noob! Use Search!" response.

Everyone was a noob once...

Alby.

What is the ALDL? I have one orange coming into my analog cluster, but I need 2 that go to the digital. Sorry it took me this long to explain that. One has an origin and destination. The second has only the destination, but no origin. Upon looking at the page I see the ALDL mumbo jumbo, but where is it and where do I plug it in? Does it have anything to do with the orange wire that I didn't need when hooking up my stereo?

no thats not it the ALDL is the code reader (thing you use a paper clip or key to read its codes) there is a orange wire in that thing you can either splice into it. or shove it into the terminal and use electrical tape on it.

The ALDL connector is just above your right knee under the dash. It is where the repair shop plugs in their diagnostic computer to see what codes might be set if you got engine trouble, and to monitor the engine while running.

Or one of us would, as said earlier, ground out with a paper clip and read the light flashes in the "check engine soon."

The second orange wire, orange (640), position D-16, Is a battery power for cluster memory. I would need to get home and look at my papers to see how this referenced with my Regal. Can give more info tomarrow.

The digital tach is pure orange (461), no stripe in position C-13.

Shawn, the creator of this site has the cutlass UB3 upgrade on his main page. www.w-body.com. Look under upgrades-electrical. That'll help too.

Upon study (in the UB3 upgrade page) it says that your original C-8 should go to D-16. There isn't a color or number listed there so I don't know if it is orange or not. You really need to go to the site. It tells you every wire to move and where to move it to.

I got it all finished. There were some gaps in the instructions on the upgrade page.

I'm pretty sure the C-6 toD16 was a light blue. It also told me not to connect the second pink/black, but That gave me my SES. And yes, C13 went to the ALDL. Thanks for the help. My old cutlass that I got rid of 4 years ago had the UB3 and I'm happy to have it again.