LG5 headgaskets: Fel-Pro or GM?

Guest TurboSedan

which head gaskets should i buy?  

1. 1. which head gaskets should i buy?

• buy GM stock replacements!
    • save my money & buy Fel-Pro
    • other (explain)

Guest TurboSedan

which are better and why? i am buying another set of head gaskets this week. should i get Fel-Pro or spend the extra money for head gaskets from the GM stealership?

i'm also planning on new head bolts from Fel-Pro....or should i buy GM head bolts?

(btw i voted Fel-Pro)

I used OEM gaskets on my STE and thats all I will use. I also used OEM bolts as well. I figure people don't have problem with stock ones going very often, so I know I'm getting equivelant to stock quality, whereas with a different brand I might be getting higher quality but I might be getting much lower quality. I like to play it safe, all stock gaskets for me.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

FelPro OEM head gasket replacement 9471PT is the same as the OEM gasket on our cars and is much better priced verses the OEM.

Jeff M

thanks Matt...i totally forgot about that thread :lol: Fel-Pro it is.

btw, what should i torque the head bolts to? i did 90 ft/lbs before is that too much?

Stock type (GM or FelPro) stretch-to-yield have a spec 33 ft-lbs of torque then 90 degrees turned past that. As you can see from those sequences its not the torque value they are looking for you to get as much as the controlled amount of stretch as with doing any bolt or stud proper :twisted: . Also there is a sequence to the pattern of bolting the heads down.

Jeff M

I used to think the felpros had a "firering" like the mazda felpro turbo gasket and the ford felpro turbo gasket..guess not. But who cares...better to blow a gasket than a piston. :wink: .

Use GM or felpro like Jeff said. But I wouln't know about other makes. I had bought some Fedral Megual bolts for my ford turbo..and they were worse than stock bolts. And CLEAN THE TREADS...TAP OUT THE DIRT, OIL.

Guest TurboSedan

yep i already ran a tap down every bolt hole, and then turned the block upside down on the stand and sprayed out the holes with Brakleen :)

do head bolts need any sealant or should they have a light coating of motor oil before they are installed or just completely dry?