90 Cutlass complete electrical failure

Albion

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago while driving I noticed that the dash (cluster and stereo) would lose power for like a second, then come back on.

Yesterday, I got in the car, turned the key, and the the dash lit up for a second then died, the courtesy lights all went off, and the engine refused to make so much as a peep. I seemed to have completely lost all electrical power.

I checked all fuses, all seemed to be good, and the battery was reading 11.5 volts, all connections seemed clean and solid.

About ten minutes later I re-tried, and she fired up fine, but cut out again as I reached my destination. I removed the key and re-started her and she seemed fine again.

Any suggestions as to a possible cause for this? I fairly recently had the crank sensor and ignition control module replaced, but she also seems a little wobbly at idle now too.

Thanks,

Albion.

It's a 3.1. would a computer problem cause total electrical shutdown?

Where's the Aux + terminal? (I don't know engines/electrical very well) :oops:

Should I do Idle Relearn too, since the power went out?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Albion.

Where's the Aux + terminal? (I don't know engines/electrical very well) :oops:

It's a stud with a 4 (?) gauge wire bolted to it located between the washer fluid tank and the strut tower on the driver's side. It's under a red cap. If the nut holding the wire on the stud becomes loose it can cause all sorts of crazy problems.

The aux. terminal is right beside the green circle in the below picture. Mostly likely has a red cap on the top if it like shown in the picture below...

If you do an idle relearn the ecm fuse is circled in green

15.jpg

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I'll check those things out tomorrow.

1990Lumina, thanks for the visual aid! :D (I'd thought the fuse labelled "ECM" in the under-glovebox area was it).

Albion.

There is a 95% chance it's just a loose batt cable , BUT!!! I had the exact same symtoms when my injectors died... a complete failure of the electrical system (because the injectors had shorted out)...

just sharing..... I'm sure it's a loose cable....

Thanks!

I had the cables off the battery and gave them a good clean at all contact points, they were a little loose also.

Fingers crossed, she's been fine since then (although it's only been about 24 hours...)

I hate "intermittent" problems :cry:

Albion.