Factory Amp?

godofthunder

I hear all this bout a factory amp. I have the premium 6 speaker sound in my car, with the orig. CD/TAPE/STEREO HU.

Do I have this amp? And like I saw on that door handle thing, a gain for the amp? Why dont I have one, and what does it do, add power?

I dont remmeber seeing this on my moms 91 lumina either

Jon

These were all different options between w-body models. Some have the capability of these options, others don't. The switch on the door (in the STE) was just a volume control for the rear 6x9's. Some older Cutlass's had this option as well. The newer cutlass's (like yours) didn't get these options, and the amplifier(s) for the premium system are all built in to the head unit. The newer Grand prix's with the 8 speaker premium sound and the Bose option have an outboard amplifier unit to power the extra speakers.

Lumina's are the low end of the bunch, their premium sound system consisted of a Bose system. Nothing too fancy really.

Thats what i thuoght. I used to use just pre-amed decks in my old cars, since I really don tget into all that stereo stuff. I would get new speakers, 200W HU (usu awia) and go.

I love the one in now, mainly caus of tape and CD. It does have quite a bit of power. was listening to some slipknot live (I bet the never thought somneone would listen to slipknot in an olds), and it sounded just like their concert i went to

jon