96 Grand prix...turn key, no start

joey b

My friend has a 96 prix 3100. He's been telling me about how he will turn the key and it doesn't start. If he goes back later it will. I used a napkin to wipe off the passkey sensors but it did it again. What would you suggest?

when it doesn't start, does is crank at all?

does he have a different key that he can try using?

he should also check the battery terminals to make sure they are tight, as well as the Aux terminal.

:werd:

Ditto what he said on checking the battery level and the terminals. If that all comes up clean, maybe check the starter?

Just do what the guy in Florida did or where ever he was from. Get your .44 Mag and shoot the hood 6 times. :mrgreen:

To me It sounds like the pass key system is screwed up. Considering the age its probably wareing out. I think DiscoStud as an article on how to disable it.

• 5 months later...
I'm having a similar problem with my '94 GP. It will crank, but won't start. I have replaced the theft deterent module twice, and the ecm is an A1 cardone reman. Any ideas?
Have you had the ignition lock cylinder replaced?

Like I previously mentioned, read this article:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/VATS.htm

The wire Heza refered to is orange. More like it's an orange rubbery conduit with 2 tiny white wires inside. Basically what you do is snip the wires and put a resistor equal to the resistance of your key's pellet between the 2 wires...