92 Cutlass Supreme International Sedan

Ray

Some peeving problems on this 3.4/5speed mama I posted about a few weeks ago.

OK, Since I bought this thing, and yes, I'll get pictures up here of it this weekend since it has finally arrived and after I get it put back together since I have it half ripped apart, for reasons I will get into now.

#1, The AC compressor will NOT kick in, for whatever reason. I am a mechanic, though I service and certify U-Hual trucks of which this thing obviously is NOT. Possibly due to loss of refrigerant, though it was recharged a year ago and the compressor was new GM with the Engine 7k miles ago, leading me to beleive a UV leak check was done at the time as well. My forst question, where in the hell are the High/Low pressure switches in this damn thing? I mean, really, I know it's tight in there, but if Ford can make them easily accesible in their Econoline vans with a Freaking V-10 in there, wtf? If I jumper them and it works, ok, needs regharged, or it is as I suspect, related to the next one.

#2, It has the Electronic Climate Control, which is geek for, Problem Waiting To Happen. When I switch it from Floor to Upper or to Bi-Level, nothing, blower still only moves air on your feet, which because of the first problem, is luke warm in the morning and sub-nuclear in the afternoon. The Temp settings work, as it does operate the flapper switching from the heater core, etc, the solenoid pack is clicking away when I switch them around, but there appears to be no vacuum source to allow the vacuum actuators to work.

I have identified and traced all the hoses from the solenoid pack under the dash, which is nearly completely out of the car, by the way, except for the purple one, which obviously, must be the vacuum source, and I cannot find where it goes. Does this thing have a vacuum pump for this stuff or does the thing hook to the manifold through the firewall somewhere?

Is it possible the two problems, as I am suspecting, are related and something is unhooked that is painfully obvious but impossible to see?

Forget Chiltons, damn book is worthless.

Also, the car failed the NOX portion of our smog test, and is now throwing the code 32 EGR code. Tech 1 scan showed the EGR working, and the passages are fine, could the rattling in-bad-need-of-replacement cat cause a 32?

Thanks!

Hi there. In my 1992, I suffered a similar problem with respect to the vacuum system. Seems a vacuum line around the battery was broken. The problem you have sounds 99% like a vacuum leak. Vacuum is derived from the intake manifold. All the vacuum lines are underneath the hood, not in the dashboard for the most part.

Check the Climate Control Electrical system

Start the car.

Push and hold the Bi-Level button and then push the Outside Temp button (hold both buttons at the same time)

You will then see either a 00 (all good) or an error code

Post one if you get it and I can possibly diagnose it

The high/low fittings, accumulator, and I believe the pressure switch for the AC system all reside underneath the air filter housing (airbox.)