compass problems

subceng

on my 91 STE the centre console compass and display works fine for about 45 minutes then it chirps and i get a "system failure" warning, it also shows a "missed op" warning and it does not work again until the next ignition key shut down, when it starts up again. it does the same, thing works fine for a bit, shows all the right info then it messes up.

So my question,

are these displays repairable, or is it just a nuisance to put up with?

who repairs them if they are repairable

thanks again.

did you try resetting it, and calabrating the compass? You have to do this by driving around in a circle a few times. I don't remember exactly but I had to do it with the DIC on my 88 GP before.

thanks for the replies, but i have a few other problems that come up also.

some times the display reads system fail, some times it shows doors open that are not, fuel tanks that are low when i have a full fuel tank and if i try to calibrate it, it says missed op. and will not accept the North button when pressed during calibration.

does anyone have an idea of who can repair the DIC which i assume is the module behind the glove box? and not the display in the centre console?

this is for a 1991 3.4 DOHC GP STE.

The DIC is self-contained completely. Remove the top of you console, and you have 4 7mm bolts to pull it out. Don't bother taking it somewhere. Buy one off somone here. I regularly get them and sell them for around $20 shipped. Davis (Invasion1) probably has one.. or two.. or nine.. or twenty laying around.

does anyone have an idea of who can repair the DIC which i assume is the module behind the glove box? and not the display in the centre console?

The module behind your glove box is the radio amp...

The module he's talking about is most likely the DIC lamp monitor which would not cause the DIC to fail. It sounds like the DIC itself is the problem, like said just get another.

The module he's talking about is most likely the DIC lamp monitor which would not cause the DIC to fail. It sounds like the DIC itself is the problem, like said just get another.

Hmm. Maybe the '91+ are different behind the glove box. Consider myself standing corrected!!!

beav.jpg

Hm hm heh heh heh... he said 'standing cERECTED' hm hm heh heh heheheh