Turn signals and State inspections.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok... im semi-pissed...

We all know how the grand prix's and otther models have the turn signal problem...

Well, with the petty, you have to hold the stalk in place for them to work. Well, the mechanic took my car out for a road test today, and of course, he notices this. And, becuase of gay ass NYS inspection laws, he said he cant pass the inspection unless I fix the turn signal. I'm pissed, i thought I would get away with it... has anyone else failed inspection becuase of this?

Additionaly- would I need to replace this switch thing, or can it be fixed?

oh and, the new engine is running great...

You can either replace it, or you can take it apart, clean off and rebend the contacts back. That fixed my problem, and it's not a hard job either.

How hard is it to take the stalk off anyways? I need to replace the one in my dad's car (97 Lumina)
You need to replace the signal switch on the 97 Lumina? Replacing the stalk is one thing, the signal switch itself is a whole other can of worms.

Lucky for you I have a write-up detailing the replacement of the signal switch on the newer 1st Generation W-Bodies (including your dad's Loomie.) Have a look:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm

How hard is it to take the stalk off anyways? I need to replace the one in my dad's car (97 Lumina)
You need to replace the signal switch on the 97 Lumina? Replacing the stalk is one thing, the signal switch itself is a whole other can of worms.

Lucky for you I have a write-up detailing the replacement of the signal switch on the newer 1st Generation W-Bodies (including your dad's Loomie.) Have a look:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm

Hell yeah dude! Kick ass! Thanks :peace:

Yup I had to replace the one on my 95 before I could drive it. That's a WAY bigger PITA than the older gen 1s (88-93).

Do you have the switch from your GTP or is that car gone already? By the way, I've used NON-RADIO BUTTON controls on a wheel WITH RADIO BUTTONs (you just can't use the radio buttons anymore.. lol), that was on my 88' which should basically be the same as your Petty...

Guest Anonymous

The guy told me he would rather get a new one because,

1. We don't know if the GTP one is good

2. It would cost more in labor to pull the old one than to buy a new one.

I was supposed to call him back with what I wanted to do, but ive been really sick and havent gotten around to it.

well look at it this way: the one in the gtp is just as old, and will probably just break anyhow, so i'd just fix it.

and i know you are good with electronic items so i think you should atepmpt it yourself, just go rent a steering wheel puller from autozone of whereever.

and im sure someone here has to have a walkthrough on how to fix it.

and i know you are good with electronic items so i think you should atepmpt it yourself, just go rent a steering wheel puller from autozone of whereever.

and im sure someone here has to have a walkthrough on how to fix it.

:werd:

It's pretty fucking easy. Just takes a few hours. I know for a fact mechanic will charge a buttload just cause it's a bit time consuming (but not hard).

:?: :?:

"Same Shit, Different Day" - I can't tell if he's saying that to me or Ross. :lol:

exactlly....I was referring to the advise you (and everyone else) has given Ross. It gets old when very good advise is repeatedly given but it is never taken. Sometimes people need to help themselves instead of complaining about their problems.