Key Cylinder

TheOneAnd

Hey all, long time no post, anyways to make a long story short, my key cylinder has locked on me, can't start the car nothing, wheel locked up, and I can't move it from a parking space to my garage where I live (apartment complex) anyways anyone know how to go about replacing the key cylinder or even getting the steering wheel unlocked so i can get into my garage. any help is appreciated

thanks.

TOA

Sorry didn't post my vehicle info,

1993 Cutlass Supreme SL A/T

Thanks,

anyone with a haynes manual, or let me know how to dissassemble thanks.

I've had my steering wheel lock on me before. Try moving the wheel a little bit first, that was my problem. The wheel locked into place and I couldn't turn the key.

Its actually not the wheel, the actual key cylinder froze, (ignition key tumbler if u will) the wheel locked up when I tried turning it to straighten the wheel out, the tumbler is stuck between off and acc I think. So am just sitting here tryint to figure out what to do, thankyou for replying though it is appreciated.

The only major downside is am suppose to be in another city tommorow afternoon, so I need to remedy the situation quickly.

Guest Anonymous

There is a wheel lock secuity system, but I'm not sure abbout the key part. I know if you put the car in park with the wheel a certain way, it wont start.

My gut reaction is that it's the actual ignition switch (which on the 94-96 columns anyway) is mounted down on the steering column, top side, closer to the firewall. You'll have to drop the column down to get it off. After you remove it, try turning the key and see if it'll move. If it still doesn't turn, then you have an internal problem with the column, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier to just replace the whole column. If the key does turn, then stick a screwdriver in the slot of the ignition switch and move it back and forth to see if you can free it up (or replace the switch altogether.)

My main concern right now, is that I have the tilt column, and is the only thing in the way of getting to the key cylinder, any ideas anyone? .... i guess it should have some sort of screw that holds it in, or a spring or something, my haynes manual says to "take to dealer because it requires a special tool to remove the tilt part" so any ideas would be helpful, as far as droping the column out its just four bolts correct? or are there special procedure to taking it out. thanks

No Column shift, floor. Still at a loss, anyways if I wanted to remove the column out, it wood just be the four bolts right, or do I need to disconnect something from the shaft boot near the brake pedal>> I have everything apart just the stupid tilt, has to pivot pins that need to be removed, and I can't find a tool store that carries them, any ideas thanks.

There's 2 bolts that hold the column to the dash, one that holds it to the firewall, and behind the boot is the "pinch bolt" that connects it to the Intermediate Steering Shaft.

Personally, I've never wasted my time trying to repair the tilt mechanism on any GM column because of those stupid pivot pins. Also, if you ever did get those pins out, remember that the upper part of the column is under tension from the springs pertaining to the tilt mechanism. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd start hitting the boneyards for a new column...