Floor shifter removal

19Cutlass94

does anyone know how to remove the floor shifter because I want to put on an aftermarket, perhaps a chrome or CF shifter in its place but I cant figure out how to take it off.... can anyone help?

The shifter assy is held in w/ 4 nuts.. 10mm and it comes off.. Of course, pop the cables off..

The handle itself is held on with a CClip.. get a flat blade in there, and pry it out

I wish more people looked and honestly tried to analyze a problem before they come here and post. This is no where near the dumbest question ever asked, but it's been covered a million times before.

I wish more people looked and honestly tried to analyze a problem before they come here and post. This is no where near the dumbest question ever asked, but it's been covered a million times before.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had the same question but I either found by using icon_mini_search.gif or just asking someone on MSN messenger...

but heres the problem I have, I looked at it today and I cant figure out how to get this one piece off that surrounds the shifter

heres a pic,

803598_23_full.jpg

I know its not the best but that piece how do I get that out of the way so that I can get the shifter its self out?

does that kinda make sense?

The only thing that holds the shifter on is this big "staple". It's facing the dash, so you can't really see it that well but it's there. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. Then, it might take a bit of muscle to pull it off (lift straight up) cause they get tight after being on all those years. Don't worry, they're pretty solid so I don't think its likely you can break it.

Oh shit I think I know what he's talking about now..

put the car in neutral then you'll have no problem taking the shifter off 8)

Then, just press down on the white part to shift it back into park or whatever.