Anyone with an OBD2 WBody

Dirty Rockstar

Can this possibly be used on board one of these OBD 2 Ws? Its from an Aurora.. (Jut browsing.. Dreaming.. lol)

96_4.JPG

I am just curious.. I think this is WAY cooler than the 96 Grand Prix model 8)

Guest Anonymous

Well, an OBD1 cutlass DIS's electronics will not read the different electroni pulses of an obd2 aurua... they just arent compatablie... like hooking up an 88-93 DIC into a 94+ gp... it wont work.

Well, an OBD1 cutlass DIS's electronics will not read the different electroni pulses of an obd2 aurua... they just arent compatablie... like hooking up an 88-93 DIC into a 94+ gp... it wont work.

Can this possibly be used on board one of these OBD 2 Ws?

As I understood it he wanted to use it in an OBDII vehicle.

Guest Anonymous
I know OBD 2 stuff wont work in 1 and 1.5s.. I want to know if this Aurora thing will work in the 96+ Ws..

Thats from an aurora? i think thats a cutlass dis.

I know OBD 2 stuff wont work in 1 and 1.5s.. I want to know if this Aurora thing will work in the 96+ Ws..

Thats from an aurora? i think thats a cutlass dis.

No, it's not. I've seen the Aurora DIC's, there are a few in the J/y I go to, and it has a flip up door, just like that. It's an Aurora.

Guest Anonymous
Im saying it wont, becuase the OBD2 uses different electronic pulses for fuel info, etc...

:bash: Ross, 96+ W's ARE OBDII! :bash:

No shit. I thought that it was a cutty dis usuing obd1

Im saying it wont, becuase the OBD2 uses different electronic pulses for fuel info, etc...

:bash: Ross, 96+ W's ARE OBDII! :bash:

No shit. I thought that it was a cutty dis usuing obd1

Right, but that wasn't made apparent until you asked if it was a Cutty DIS. He clearly stated it was from an Aurora.

His wording was a bit unobjective, it looked like a cutty dis, and to me, it sounded/looked like he wanted to put a cutty dis in an aurora

Can this possibly be used on board one of these OBD 2 Ws? Its from an Aurora.. (Jut browsing.. Dreaming.. lol)

Plus the HVAC controls there obviously aren't from any Cutlass I've ever seen. Just busting your nuts, here.

I doubt it would work.

The DIS from the Aurora doesn't use the Class 2 serial data bus. Back then, GM PCM's had 2 serial data busses, Class 2 for all OBD2 communication, and a DLC bus which was a regular old ALDL bus. Only difference is I think the DLC isn't a full read/write bus that can be used for diagnostics like the ALDL in OBD1 cars can, it's a read-only bus for information only. Anyway, the instrument cluster has a DLC input, and processes this raw data onto a special UART B bus and feeds it directly to the DIS. I'm not sure how proprietary the UART B bus is, but it DEFINITELY won't work on the Class 2 bus of an OBD2 car. It MIGHT work with an OBD2 PCM that has a DLC bus and possibly also an OBD1.5 PCM (94-95 3.4 DOHC), but that depends on how much processing of the data the Aurora instrument cluster does.

It MIGHT work with an OBD2 PCM that has a DLC bus and possibly also an OBD1.5 PCM (94-95 3.4 DOHC), but that depends on how much processing of the data the Aurora instrument cluster does.

:shock: So you're saying this DIS could work with OBD1.5 outright? Hmm... methinks another trip to the junkyard is in order.... :twisted:

COULD is the key word.

It could also be that "UART B" is a super proprietary bus as it's only used for communication between the instrument cluster and DIS.

COULD is the key word.

It could also be that "UART B" is a super proprietary bus as it's only used for communication between the instrument cluster and DIS.

I'll have to get wiring diagrams and try 'er out!

If there are a few John, tell me how much one will be..

Almost guarantee you $20 or even less, knowing the yard I go to! :thumbsup: It's awesome. I paid $40 total for both my HUD and dashpad together!