rotted tranny/steering lines

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

there has been a small bump in the road with getting the car fixed...

It seems that since I had the car parked outside for 10 months (on a grassy area)... the moisture underneath rotted out my power steering and transmission fluid lines ( i knew they were leaking, so its no a scam)...

but will the "moisture" really do that so quickly, or is this something that has broken down over a longer period of time?

Yes its possible. I have had a bottom of a car rust away in one winter just because I parked it in a Dirt floor garage for 4 months and it rusted everything form the Rockers to the gas and brake lines.

did you wash the underside of the car before parking it? there might have been some salt from along time ago still there and when the moisture hit it caused it to rust.

First off just let me say "Powertrain" :wink:

Its a general question about fluid lines, storage, etc... not specifiaclly the "powertrain" :roll:

Allright man I see what your saying, sorry about that.

Im soo glad we dont have rust here. It really sounds like it fucks up cars bad.

The moisture easily would have done that. I didn't drive my Z34 for close to a year, and the bottom of it suprisily had rust from just sitting.

its very possable, i see it all the time around here, the lines will just rust and rust, and sitting for almost a year will do that. make sure they check the brake and fuel lines over as well, it all rusts, and from what it hear NY dumps more salt on the road then most places.

its very possable, i see it all the time around here, the lines will just rust and rust, and sitting for almost a year will do that. make sure they check the brake and fuel lines over as well, it all rusts, and from what it hear NY dumps more salt on the road then most places.

You haven't been in the detroit area have ya?

:lol:

The only reason why the lines never rust normally as quick is because the air/water passing around the vehicle constantly washes the vehicle. This is why you should NEVER store a car over grass. Have a ground sheet underneath to prevent moisture coming up and it's always a good idea to put it up on stands to keep the tires from going out of round.

Getting it rust checked is a good idea before storage as well.