UB3 with HUD in lumina pictures

Hairdo12

If anyone else has the same setup... sorry :fruity:

I have recut the black plastic pieces that border the glass so the 45 degree angles fit together better. I basically stripped out the electronics of a Cutlass HUD and put them in under the dash pad. It sits in there like a glove and i didnt have to bolt it down or anything as the fit is snug and the electronics are not being crushed. As far as the ghost image you see in the winshield, I'm gonna try to work on that but I dont know if I'll have any luck. Oh might I add, the price I paid for this HUD and a dash pad from another lumina (note its not peeling by the vent) was 25 bucks at the jy. The guy thought the HUD was a speaker... i was'nt going to say anything.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

no adjuster because I didnt use any of the mirrors. where you see it is where it stays. to get the perfect location i used a shim under neath the board. the dimmer i mounted under the dash out of plain view because I didnt like the way the dial looked.

The ghosting might be because the windshield wasn't designed for a HUD.

I have been told that if you install a piece of window tinting film where the HUD is supposed to project, that should/might take care of it.

Worth a try. You should be able to get a corner of the film for free from a window tinting shop if you ask nicely.

The reason for the big ghost image is the angle from the dash to that high spot you have it aimed for. Nothing's going to fix that unless you adjust it so it shoots lower, but with the flatness of the dash that might be impossible.

On another note is that cluster crooked??>!?

That's pretty creative, although it might have been better just to mount the entire Cutlass HUD on top of the dash.

I have never seen ghosting to that extent on any non-HUD windshield. I put 2 HUDs in cars that have non-HUD windshields, and this is the blurrier of the 2.

711554_15_full.jpg

The ghost image could be caused by the angle or the height, but notice the height adjustment mirror in the HUD unit isn't flat, it's actually slightly concave which gives it a distinct focal point. I'm no physicist, but I think the mirror (or lack thereof) will affect it optically. There is probably a good reason why GM went to the trouble to develop a box to contain mirror optics in the first place.

Do you still have the HUD housing?

Cool idea.

I would build a platform or box like structure to house the HUD in, have it where it sticks up an inch or two from the dash in the rear, and it should bring the HUD a lot lower and be more in the line of sight(like normal HUD projection placements). I'll have to draw up a crude picture......