FEW PROBLEMS... HELP IF U CAN!!

bigfredi36

i have a 96 cutlass supreme coupe. the car is amazing, but seein some things broken is bugging me, so im wondering if i can have some help

-the PRND321 does not light up, how do i fix it, can i just change a light bulb, any reccomendations

-the front ashtray door is missing, the cover that should close so u dont see the ashtray, what is the part number, or where can i find it

-my hazard lights will not work, the turn signal sign dosent even blink on my dash, but the chime works as if they were on, all fuses checked to be OK

-power antenna stays up, can i change it and put in a non retractable one?

-my fog lamps wont work, fuses are ok, bulbs are ok, any suggestions?

-and finally, a dead bug is in the rear reading light. hahaha, how the heck did he get in there, anyways how do i get the sucker out?

-*-*- ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS ON ANY OF MY ISSUES WOULD BE SOOOO APPRECIATED-*-*-

I'll chime in on a couple of these:

-the PRND321 does not light up, how do i fix it, can i just change a light bulb, any reccomendations
Assuming you have a center console, yes it is a bulb. You'll have to remove the shift knob (look for a "horseshoe" type clip on the front of it. Pry out the clip with a screwdriver and pull the knob straight up) then raise the armrest lid. Next carefully pry up on the top half of the console (you'll have to put the car in "Low" to get it off of the shift lever.) Look underneath the PRNDL for the lamp socket, twist and remove.

-my hazard lights will not work, the turn signal sign dosent even blink on my dash, but the chime works as if they were on, all fuses checked to be OK
Check the flasher first. The flasher for the hazzards can be accessed by removing the underdash trim panel. The flasher resides underneath the headlight switch (it's a small metal canister.) The flasher for the turn signals is on the firewall near where the brake pedal and steering column pass through.

If replacing the flashers don't solve your turn signal problems, check out this write-up I did on replacing the turn signal switch: http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm

ok...my turn...

PRND321 is prolly a lightbulb blown...just do what disco said...its pretty easy...

i'm not sure what the part number for that ashtray cover is, or even if you can buy it seperate (you might have to get the whole top piece of the console)

dunno about the signal problem...try disco's advice

dunno about the power antenna but i knnow that's a common problem with power antenna's...i think you can get a replacement from crutchfield

as far as the fog lights, i believe there is a relay in the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood...make sure the relay is goood...

i think the plastic cover snaps off of the rear reading light...which should allow you to get that bug out... :lol:

i fixed the lights on the inside, the bulb was good, just wasent lighting, i unplugged it, plugged it back in and it was good. all the other problems remain, my uncle has the same car and did some work on it, so he will be coming over to check it out, ill keep yous poseted on the progress. id like to show some pictures but i dont know how to.

-the front ashtray door is missing, the cover that should close so u dont see the ashtray, what is the part number, or where can i find it

Junk yard is probably the only place you can get that door. GM would want to sell you the whole piece if they even have it, the PN should be on the backside of that piece.

If you don't hear any noise from either flasher it's a good bet they might be the problem. Otherwise it's probably the signal switch it could even be both.

-power antenna stays up, can i change it and put in a non retractable one?

Yes you should be able to switch with no problem, just isolate the wiring for the power antenna.

-my fog lamps wont work, fuses are ok, bulbs are ok, any suggestions?

Might be the bulb sockets, or harness connectors, like was said the relay might be bad, might even be the harness.

-and finally, a dead bug is in the rear reading light. hahaha, how the heck did he get in there, anyways how do i get the sucker out?

Depends on what style of reading light you're talking about, some come apart easily some do not. You might have to take the front cover off or remove the bulb from behind and get him out that way.

I had a problem with my passenger fog on my Cutlass and it turned out to be a bad connection between the buld and the pigtail(wireharness). You can buy electrical cleaner at the Zone or just go to a j/y and grab a couple off of a Cutlass. Make sure you check the relay before all of this.

ok everything is fixed except for the lights. is there any chance that the fog lights, hazard lights are a connected problem. ALSO. the repeater lights do not blink. on the front lights, the inner most lights blink, but the orange lights on the very end that rap around the front fender dont blink. so could these 3 be connected? fog lights, repeater lights, hazard lights.

i totally appreciate the help.

i fixed the turn signals. i changed the flasher, but i dont think it was that. i fixed the marker lights. both sides were blown, changed the bulbs and it was A.O.K.

now the odd part. if i turn the hazards on, i still hear the noise but still see nthing on my dash. BUT if i turn on a turn signal and the hazards, the lights blink on my dash, and the hazards work on the outside. so it may be a little ghetto but i have hazards now.

is there any recorded problems with the hazard button on the steering colum? because thats the part causing the problem. is it an easy part to replace or should i just deal with the ghetto set up i have?

still no fog lights. thats the next fix. everything else has worked out pretty good! im so happy. and 100% respect the feedback and help. thanks again!!!

It sounds like something maybe internally in the dash itself? I doubt the hazard switch are giving you a problem. Also, try putting the old flasher in.

is there any recorded problems with the hazard button on the steering colum?
Yes. On my Regal, I have to press in the hazzard knob in a certain way to get both of the indicators to light up. I'm thinking the signal switch may be on its way out (no problems with the brake lights and or signals yet, though...)

If you want to see how to replace the signal switch click on the link below:

http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm