Back In Service

streetdreams

I got plates for the ride this mornin, feels good after almost a full year out due to unpaid tickets etc. car feels good but still has that same knock its had for the last 5 years (cant complain at 263001km) the paint isnt as shiny as last year but in defence I never got to wax it and give it some attention. the engine seems more throatier, to tell you the truth I missed it alot. I did two back to back oil changes than went with some 10w30 and lucas, frsh air filter

new o2 sensor (I think it was original! btw what a bitch) and top up the fluids

I put on 100k today just cruisin around. wanna feel her out a bit. she's sat before but right now I wanna take no chances. gonna wax tomorrow and see if I can find a colour match glove box at the JY along with some other things

anyways great to be back in service

gotta lot of little projects now like regluing some of the interior pieces and getting a few years of leaves and moisture out of the door/kick panels

btw did these 2.8's always drink this much gas!?! damn she seems to go thru 5 bucks/7 litres every 50 kilometres

P.S anyone got a recipe to cure a bad knock? its totally bottom end/crank

I tried a oil flush with 1 litre ATF nada, lucas oil and mobil nada any ideas

Good to hear you're bad on the road and the car is running decent!.

Try some 3 step wax...especially if you have some oxidation problems, a 3 step wax will help alot...however you'd better take the better part of a day to complete the job!

- Jeff L.

100Km is like 60 miles.

I put well over 100km on my car in one night....yeah I know I hav a boring life and nothing better to do lol...but honestly, my car is comfortable to me and the 100 km doesn't feel like it took very long to put on.

He has an 88 Grand Prix I believe

its an 88 SE but I got the electric seats and it jus rides like a coupe waterbed lol

lots of people have mentioned it soon as they sit down :)

to tell you the truth my goal is to keep it as original as possible pretty much

my friend at a pontiac dealer has a 91 Z24 and I'm tellin you its so clean you could put it in the showroom TODAY and it would NOT look out of place, kinda special to sit in somthin like that these days or even see it drive by. people see him pull up all shiny OEM and they respect that. all he's done is a nice detachable and hollowed cat/hi flow

thats what I'm goin for anyways

glad to hear ur good news...and good to see another W body roamin around here,,hopefull set up some meets soon :D

on a side note...<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<look now im a reg member...wooooot wooooot :D

Yeah 2.8s are hungry on gas. My 88 GP seemed to run okay at 280,000km.. I'm sure it could have used new plugs/wires/everything else for a tuneup, but I would get roughly 400km out of a full tank of gas (compared to 500+km with my 3100). They are reliable but not very efficient engines.

7/L every 50km is about 17mpg which would seem normal for straight city driving. Highway driving at speeds of around 100km/h expect about 30mpg or 8L/100km.. all this info I've based on the DICs on my old car (88 GP SE) and my current car.

thanx C-BAD thats really helpfull, I've been writin down my litres/kilometres every fill.

I just got her on the road and I gotta do this flasher and drivers ball joint (front ends shudderin) but in the next few cheques I'm gonna ahead with new plugs,wires,PCV,fuel filter, first off. Thinkin bout goin with some goodyear 205/55R16's on a set of alero 6 spokes I'm gonna get next week. I think those tires are a bit narrow for stock but I think it would help the mileage alot. Theyll have to wait till I get the proper stuff done first. I wanna check over alot of my sensors for function because I've read over and over that for good 2.8 performance you need to make sure all that stuff is in good shape. when I've been runnin for more than 10 minutes or so I notice the idle kinda surges a tiny bit, I have to turn off the stereo to hear it and the RPM's dont move on the gauge But I feel it. sure I'l find somthin..dont matter though I'm psyched she's rollin DEFFINITLY wanna hit a w-body meet this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see you in the passin lane

I don't think Alero wheels would make any difference (plus the size is a bit different) I dunno what wheels you have on now but it's either steelie or aluminum so that shouldn't really be a factor.

Since it's an 88 it's got that god damn MAF sensor that sucks ass. Does your actually work? (if not you'll get a SES code). I found with my engine I had to clean the IAC sensor/throttlebody alot cause it would get carboned up inside alot.. I'd use some Seafoam or GM top engine cleaner (do a search on how to use it cause i'm not 100% sure) that should help clean the insides.

If you are interested in converting your 88 to the 89 setup (get rid of the MAF sensor) read here http://wbodysource.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=266

mass air flow is right next to the throttle body right?

I'm gonna throw some generic 'throttle body cleaner' spray in there, if thats what your talkin bout, I didnt mean any improvments off the alero rims, thats just to bump my wheels up to 16" from 15" and I thought goin from 215/70/R15 to 205/55R16 might improve the gas milage a fair bit (rolling drag+over all circumference)