What is causing this?

3pt1lumina

Okay my Lumina's turn signals are starting to irritate me. Listen to this. The right directional is being quirky ONLY when the lights are on. By quirky, I mean the green arrow on the dash stays on steady and the blinker does not blink....... The left works fine. This only happens when the lights are on. Originally I thought it was a bulb, not the case all the bulbs are fine.

Is it maybe a bad fuse? But if it was that, wouldnt the other not work?

Then I thought about the turn signal relay (I think its called that?)

Or maybe the stalk itself?

Its intermittent but getting worse and like I said, its only when the lights are on. Thanks for the help in advance!

replace the flasher. remove the panel where the trunk button is(4 phillips head screws) and look around the steering column for a 2-3" cylinderical object and pull it out of it's socket.

A bad bulb usually causes this condition, the blinker filament breaks in the bulb and falls down onto the parking light filament, when you turn the lights on it backfeeds power into the affected blinker

A wiring short can also cause this, I have also seen bad pigtails cause it.

I would trying taking 1 light bulb out at a time to see if you can track it to a bulb that looks good but is leaking juice

I seriously doubt your flasher has anything to do with unless it doesnt flash, does the affected side blink ricer speed or no ?

Also, are you sure you have the correct bulbs installed? An incorrect bulb will cause a myriad of electrical problems (and yes, mainly when you switch on the parking lights.) Check your owner's manual to see which # lamp goes where, and check to make sure the ones that are in there now are the correct #...

Sounds like a ground problem to me.

When you have just the flasher on - that's no problem for it, but when you have the extra load of the other lights being on - you got problems. See if your bulb socket is dirty/corroded.

nah i never did change the blinker fluid maybe that's what it is!! lol

I'm going to start with checking all of the bulbs again. they all work but maybe something is corroded/dirty.

ok I've done some work... Here's what I've found...

When you apply the brakes then turn the signal on it wont work it stays on steady. If you turn the signal on them apply the brakes it's fine... When the lights are on it happens intermittently.

So I checked all of the bulbs and they are fine. Are we in agreement it's the flasher?

btw, the left signal works fine under all conditions, its just the right one that has it's panties in a knot.