Should I Buy It

Gerbera345

I've been looking around the local car lots in my hometown and I noticed something interestig parked behind a Suburban.

A 1991 Grand Prix GT.

They're asking $1899 for it but I could likely talk them down a couple hundred bucks if I pestered them.

The body has a few minor paint chips from going down gravel roads and has what a very shallow dent about the size of a ping-pong ball about midway down the door below the handle. It has an automatic with the 3.4l V6. It has a leather interior with a power sunroof (moonroof, etc..). The power locks, windows, air conditiong work and it's trip computer works. Whether the HUD works is a mystery as it's so sunny I was darn near blind and the inside of the car was about the temperature of the sun. The interior is relatively okay. It has a busted seam on the side of the seat (which I've fixed before an old 98 Regency) and a crack in the vinyl on the center console. It needs to have it's upholstrey cleaned rather badly but that's common in this state.

The main problem to me is that the mileage is rather high, it has a 170000 miles on it and this is rather worrying to me. Records show it had it's oil and filter changed, tires rotated, and a general check over of the engine two some three or four weeks before it was sold to the dealership. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to buy it and if I do what I could expect to deal with.

if you buy it for cheap, just put a new engine in it and fix whatever is wrong

Give me one reason why it needs a new engine, Sonyman runs 14s with his--and it has almost 190,000 miles.

new engine if it needs it cuz you dont know how hard its been beaten if it has at all so those 170000 could be very hard earned miles. maybe it wont need a new engine maybe it will

someone explain to him how to check the timing belt in the ole 3.4

Who's the person who almost got killed doing that at that one dealership...ausome stuff :lol:

Its a Grand Am, Not a 3.4 DOHC I'm sure.

Who's the person who almost got killed doing that at that one dealership...ausome stuff :lol:

waits for NOHC_wbody to enter his input :lol:

He said Grand Prix, you can read, right?

Grand am? Says Grand Prix dude. :lol:

offer $1000 for it...and bargan till you hit a max of $1500...it's not worth much more than that i'd say

sounds pretty decent though...get us some pics!

Do a compression test on it and check the timing belt. If both turn out okay, then pay no more than $1300 but offer like 1k cash and see if they jump at that.

if you buy it for cheap, just put a new engine in it and fix whatever is wrong

Give me one reason why it needs a new engine, Sonyman runs 14s with his--and it has almost 190,000 miles.

those are G-tech 14s not track at tis 184500 right now july i will be 190000