TGP in the 1/8th

Rick5638

Well I wanted to get some numbers on my low mileage TGP. I've had 2 before and only ran the red one. This car is 4 thenths faster than my red one was. My biggest problem was traction. Anyway, I ran an SRT-4, an Infinity G35 and a WRX. I lost by a hair to the G35, and beat the Subaru heads up. The G35 was tricked, the visual mods were the different exhaust and drag slicks. It looked wierd with the slicks but it hooked up. The SRT-4 and I had a great race although I absolutely blew it off the line

with a reaction time of .3038. Anyway, our numbers looked like this:

me him

2.0901-------------60ft------------2.2602

8.8491-----------et @594 ft.------8.9961

9.4711------------1/8 et-----------9.5992

72.34-------------1/8 mph---------74.62

The track conditions weren't that good and it was humid, as a matter of fact it rained us out later in the night but overall the TGP ran strong. when I get my traction issues addressed and change the shift point for an earlier shift, I will be solidly in the 9.1-9.2 range in the 1/8th and pushing to break into the 8's. One thing I noticed was the intercooler piping was really hot to the touch, I have to believe that with some heat wrap, it will lower the intake charge good for a 1/10th.

Another thing that was impressive, was the TGP runs as hard as anything from 1st to 2nd. Nothing and I mean nothing that night pulled me until after the auto tranny shifted to 2nd. Up until that time I owned. These things launch great. I had a nose on that G35 before he could catch his breath. I just ran out f breat about 150 feet from the finish and he nosed by.

Not bad Rick, those 60' times are surprisingly good(mine were decent too, even with wheelspin). Is that bone stock or with some things done? For what it's worth, I ran a 9.377 @ 74.27 mph in your former TGP(60' was 2.148) as it was when I got it. 8) I think I should be able to do a 14.4-14.5 if I can keep the wheelspin down now, probably could have gotten close to a 14.5 that night if it didn't spin so much. :oops:

My timeslip from that run(I was on the right, the other car was a old modded V8 stationwagon of some sort)

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/images/TGPslip.jpg

EDIT: I also had something like a 9.5xx on my first run, that netted me a 14.9 in the 1/4(2.30x 60' time). If I find my other slip, I'll take a picture of it too.

BTW, do you mind if I add your time to my 1/8th mile list? If you have a picture/scan of the slip, send it to me mfewtrail@alltel.net and I'll add the slip on as well.

Matt,

Those are pretty good times. My car has the TG chip, condensor fins removed and K&N. The car pulls hard but my shift points are all wrong. I could actually feel the car die beore it shifted into drive. I'm going to fix it as soon as I get a chance and go back to the track. I just wanted some base line numbers to work from. I think your exhaust alone is good for a couple of tenths. I'll have some new and improved numbers soon :)

When I ran my 14.695, because the track was so slick and I was spinning after the 60', I only went 9.484 @ 75.42 in the 1/8, which is approx. the same time you ran. However, when it was stock and I ran 14.968 I went 9.558 @ 72.84. So stock the actual 1/8 mile was not that much slower, however you can see the huge power difference based on the 3mph trap speed difference between the two. Why did this happen? Because when it was stock the track had much better conditions helping me launch better, and the car had less power so it was easier to launch better. Its all about the launch.

Actually, now that I look at your times, they are just about identical to what my STE did stock. The 60' for my best run was a 2.094, then the 1/8 mile is less than a 10th off and my 1/8 trap speed is actually a half mph faster. So, based on that, I would say its a 14.8-14.9 car. In my dads TGP I did 9.435 @ 73.21 with a 2.093 60', and that run was a 14.819 @ 92.72 in the 1/4, so since yours is right in between them, that is what makes me believe it is a 14.8-14.9 car. But, do a few more mods and you could easily have it down into the low 14's. 8's in the 1/8 mile will be tricky to do with that car, but it is possible. According to my G-tech I do high 8's in my STE, but that is also a 13 second car, according to the g-tech of course.

And also, changing your shiftpoints too much might not help at all. It could easily help, but you have to be careful. You have to remember that if you shift too early, it will be out of the powerband when it goes into the next gear and you won't be helping yourself any because it will be a dog in the next gear. I actually found that I gained ~2 tenths and ~1mph by holding my STE in gear LONGER, this was when it was stock, don't know about with a chip and stuff. I was running 15.1's at 89mph until I started holding it in 2nd longer, then I went 14.9 @ 90.

Shawn

Man, I can't wait until tomorrow to head to the track. I'm taking my WRX out and to be honest, if you beat a WRX off the line w/ a 2.09 60' time either he was a tard or a pussy. (Or like me, last time he was at the strip he blew a hole in his tranny and doesn't want to do that w/ his new car :lol: ) A good solid launch in a stock WRX will net you 1.8 -1.9 60' times. But I won't be anywhere near that, due to the previously mentioned, "holy" transmission.

When you say you I/C pipe is hot, which one? If it's before the I/C then that's just our beloved T25 pumping it's little ass off. If you wrap it, it WILL get hotter. I assure you the engine compartment doesn't approach the heat of a freshly compressed charge, especially from the TGP. Now, if it's the other side (post intercooler) then wrap the hell out of it. I'm working on a I/C spray bar for Scooby and if all goes well will be building one for the TGP as well. I'm more worried about residual fluids on it because of the design and placement. But it's just a water based sprayer. Might have to go CO2 for the TGP, or N20. That and I'm still working on installing the upgraded Spearco cored bar and plate I/C for it. Keep kicking ass at the track!! 8) Represent the TGP's w0o7!!!!!111!!1!!!1!

Thanks guys for all the advice, but I'm fully aware that my TGP isn't running its best. This was its first time at the track and did I mention my 1st run was a 9.7672? I then ran a 9.6431 then a 9.5350 and then the 9.4711?

I probably shouldn't have even posted the times because we got rained out before I could lower them any more. I wont need many mods at all to be in the very low 9's to high 8's. The car is fast but the shift points are off, its completely out of the powerband when it shifts. I will adjust it to 5200 rpms to fix that problem, I will also do some exhaust work and and look for some cheap slicks. Also keep in mind that I was launching at different rpm ranges to get the best traction. The times came down almost 3 tenths just by varying my launch technique. Again the track conditions were bad but thats not really an excuse, they were bad for everyone. Of the few cars I had a chance to run, the Subaru was the weakest. I know its all wheel drive and the driver seemed inexperienced but I expected more from it than it had.

Yeah I had some logs from the auto car, and IIRC (when it was healthy) 5275 (Man it's been awhile) and drop to 2800 (Jeff remembers I'm sure) My launch was my problem as well. But a 15.21 @ 90 w/ a 2.3 60' taint too bad. (Especially on 4 psi) Get back out there in some good weather and get some even more impressive #'s. That's saying something to do like you did against an AWD car (ScoobyDoo) and a car w/ a quaife LSD (SRT-4)