Hey buick guys!!

toastemcutlass

Hey buick guys. Got a ? A couple of months ago at my work I drove a 89 or 90 buick possibly century "t" I thought it was the retarted owners, but it was some girl who drove it and she didn't look like she knew her head from a hole in the ground. the thing had t-type badging everywhere and it could have been the supercharged3.8 but it sounded like the turbo cuz of the waste gate sound. any ideas

Im not sure, but I do think there were other T-types, other than regals (g-bodies). Argh, i cant remember which one it was, but there was an all black t type of a smaller Buick at my work a while ago ( 2 yrs ).

Jon

Guest Anonymous

There is one of those on my street and I can't remember the model now.

If I am remembering correctly it just says Buick on the drivers side of the trunklid and T-Type on the other end. I'll have to see if it's there in the morning.

For some reason, I really wanna say it was a lesabre. I do remember it was one of the smaller cars.

I think there was also a Turbo Century, but only for a year, and not really called the T-Type.

BTW a friend of mine who used to have a 87 GN just got an early T-type regal with a friend from an auction for cheap

Jon

Throughout the early/mid/late 80's Buick had a t-type option on most of the models. Century(85/86/?),Lesabre(87/88/89), Riviera(86/87/88), 82/83/84/85earlier LARGE FWD Rivs had a t-type that was the turbo Regal motor but that was HUGE and oldstyle FWD, 4dr Electra(85/86/87/?) a 2dr.Electra t-type in 85, Skyhawk,(?) Skylark(?) . Years and models vary and I dont have it off the top of my head. If it was small it was either the Skylark or Skyhawk. If it really was turbo it was Skyhawk and it would have been early/mid eightys. That had a 2 litre turbo Brazilian made engine. Should have had a 4sp. Skyhawk T-type. I believe Pontiac had a version of this car. Unless it was an aftermarket turbo setup ? LeSabre/Electra would be a big car. Century is somewhat smaller than w body but the SKY---- cars were the SMALL ones. In 86 there was a 2dr. Century GS that came in only Black. Also a 86 LeSabre GN only seen in Black. The only factory turbo was the Skyhawk. Maybe someone put a TGP engine in a Century some of them came with the 3.1. The 2dr. Centurys dont look too bad. There was a Century Sport Coupe 3.8 in there, brother to the Cutlass Ciera GT 3.8 86/87. Most all the above except the little guys and had the 3.8. But in the late 80's Century and Regal came with the 2.8 or 3.1 because they could not keep up production of the 3800 which by that time was even in the Bonneville. Then the 3300 fits in there somewhere but it doesnt seem like we see many of them. Confused yet ? :roll: I am so dont quote me on exacts but thats the general picture.

YEah, i do remember the LeSabre GN or something. THis was just a t-type.

Didnt they use somethign else other than the regal in NASCAR? B/c i think thats where i heard of the Lesabre GN.

The one i saw was a t-type.

I wonder why these dont get much attention. I would think being so rare, you would hear more. I love GN (the real regals)....but in looking at stuff, you never hear about the others

Jon

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/86lgn.htm

http://www.lesabret.com/

"Century GS was one year only 1986, only 1029 were made, had ground effects, spoiler on rear, black only, special seats and carpet savers, other than that is was a plain ordinary Century 2 door. " cant find picture.

Apparently someone manufactured a turbo kit for the LeSabre & maybe other 3.8 powered FWD's as well in the late eightys, I dont know much about it. No current sitings have been reported but there is a picture floating around somewhere.

Skyhawk info above should be 5sp. turbo 2.0 - Skyhawk T-type

Nascar - The 86 LeSabre page link gives that info. It was raced successfully by Bobby Allison , following the LeSabre body was the FWD Regal body that Allison raced as well apparently winning the Daytona 500 in 1988. I dont follow Nascar - this info came dirrectly from a 1989 Buick sales catalog.

i saw a black lesabre t-type on campus last night. Very tastefully done car. Black looked good on it too. It had decent wheels and a really nice spoiler that was very NASCARish. All it needed was some windo tint!

My uncle is a mechanic and he has a dead Century in his garage that says t-type on it I beileve or it may be something else that designates it as a sporty edition its hard to remember. It has a console shifter and bucket seats, alloys and a spoiler. Its not a turbo though its a 3.8. and I beileve its an 89'. I thought it was pretty unique and rare considerign I have neevr seen one before.

A friend of mine has an 88 olds cutlass ciera GT, very similar to this, all leather and every option except hud, it's not in very good condition now but I'm sure it was sweet when it was newer, 3800 drive train.

No turbo,just a body, trim,interior and suspension pagage. Maybe a lower than standard axel ratio.I dont have all the specifics but no turbo. A few FWD cars were rumored to be prototyped with turbo but the THM440T4 couldnt take it and never held up really great to consistent abuse with the NA 3.8. Also the corporate FWD 3.8 would need many special engine components to survive turbo.

Century T-type package was on both 4dr & 2dr. cars.

I believe the Cierra GT was a much better looking car than the Century. Nicer rounded nose & grill and top of rear roof line was more rounded and slopping looking. Really a great looking car in my opinion. That should have been the car to get the 442 package in late 80's early 90's instead of that little Chalais. That car just did the 442 name no good. The Cierra coupe had class and room and the stance to better suit the 442 name.

Man, that century looks soo weird. I would much rather have a GN though.

I did see a Buick Skyhawk SPORT COUPE today...kinda rare. Ashame some old lady trashed it. Looked crappy on inside.

Jon

looked just like the picture but I know it had a turbo cuz of the waste gate sound, whisling and you could feel it, maybe just an aftermarket one that someone put on b/f they sold it to the chick

• 2 years later...
Guest Gp crazy

my brother had a buick skylark t-type I thinks it was an 85-86. The citation was also part of the T-type family 2.8 carbed 135 hp with special gears in the auto tranny + an option for a 4 speed stick. paint white with black letter or black with white letters. special rims, lovors on the rear window & other options. I saw it just last summer and was on the side of the road with a oil trail leading to it bad sign :mrgreen:

On that note, I'm buying an 88 Lesabre T-type this sunday :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm soo happy I'm gonna have a car again. Hopefully ill have pics soon to post. Look for them in the Other cars section :wink: 8)