Question on 3x00/3.1T Hybrid

90TGP

I plan on doing the 3x00 hybrid next year, or next winter.

How much power could I expect with just a 00+ 3400/3100 topend swap? [heads, intake, rockers].

How much power could I expect by having the heads ported&polished?

How much power could I expect with an added cam from GMPP?

How much power could I expect with topend swap, cam, and p&p?

Would the boost level be effected by the topend swap? I read somewhere that the boost level on the boost gauge could read a little lower then 11psi. Just wondering on that part. :)

With just the topend I would say you would probably see a ~15hp gain. With P&P heads it depends on what all you get done...that could be the big gainer there...possibly 30+hp gain, but it all depends, it might only be 5-10hp. The cam should give you ~15-20hp on top of the swap, but it will gain you tons on the topend (where you really need it) but you won't lose any lowend power.

With the combination of all of them (thats what I did besides the P&P, but I installed an UD Pulley as well at the same time) I gained ~40hp or so. But it gained power everywhere. Lowend, midrange, topend, just more power period. My trap speeds according to my G-tech increased ~5-6mph. Also, due to still having stock injectors I am running 8.5psi for regular daily driving. So take that into account when you think about my gain, I lost 2-3psi and still gained that kind of power. Boost level shouldn't be effected, but you will probably want bigger injectors if you want to run the same amount of boost. I am hoping to run 11-12psi with larger injectors.

I think if you are expecting to see much more of a gain than that you should probably invest in a bigger turbo as well. I also wouldn't recommend doing the swap without the cam, it would be stupid IMO.

Shawn

Yeah, I think we're fine with low end power [i can spin my ZR-Nittos through 1st at the track]. :lol:

I'll definitly do the cam at the same time, why tear apart the motor twice.

Yea Shawn has it covered great! Gains will vary, no way to know how well your head shop will do for you, but the gains will be all over the rpm range/power band 8) . Resulting lower boost pressure is a good thing if you think about boost as being a good part the pressure reading of what it takes to get through the intakes and heads, open up the flow of these and the turbo does not work as hard which is also good, and you see less boost but get more power, very nice BUT as Shawn is eluding to, there is much more air entering into the combustion chamber that needs more fuel, up to a point with 92 octane and our compression ratio. And I am very glad to see someone else mention the cam going with the intake swap, cams are designed very much along the lines of what the intake characteristics are, and I was about to have to pull some teeth to get that point across in a recent swap post here but fortunately that has passed 8) ! I really like the plastic (phenolic?) lower intake gasket, did find it lessens heat soak into the upper intake, I assume Shawn this came along when you did your swap??? I only have the 3100 heads on another TGP and not sure what years the plastic lower intake gaskets were used. Did also heard there was a few years there that were said to be a trashed design, just wish I took notes on that but never thought this topic would show up so often :oops: :lol: .

Jeff M

Ahh, thanks, that bumped some memory cells :lol: , I remember now that either FelPro or Victory Rienze (sp?) had some bulletin on this of course showing their improved aftermarket design. I know I have a set here that the shop labeled "Junk" when they did the work on my 3100 heads, supplying me with the better ones, just no part numbers :cry: Sure I can figuer it out if I need to get back in there, and will this summer 8)

Jeff M

I really like the plastic (phenolic?) lower intake gasket, did find it lessens heat soak into the upper intake, I assume Shawn this came along when you did your swap???

Yes, the plastic LIM gaskets are nice. I had actually never torn apart a 3.1 before I did the swap, and all the 3.8's I had torn apart had the plastic gaskets. So it was actually weird when I tore apart the 3.1 and saw the paper gasket in there. The plastic ones are nice though, and although its obviously not recommended, they can be re-used, which is nice.

Shawn