Question for convertible owners

GnatGoSplat

yup. Mine's been apart since last summer, and it really sucks, I epoxyed it a few times and I got it to hold for a few weeks, but always just came apart again. right now mine is all ghetto duct taped cuz my sister was the one who drove it down here for me. My solution, new top as soon as I have the money here in a few weeks.

Thanks. I'll probably glue mine down in that case. I had wondered because the edge is shiny like it was once sticking to the glass, while the other edges aren't shiny at all. The back window on my convertible was coming unglued from the inside too. I just glued it last night so I have some window glue I can use on it.

Why don't you use real window glue on it? A 10.5oz tube just cost me $7.63 tax included. 3M Urethane Windshield Adhesive. Works pretty good so far.

hmmm... I'll try that. I didn't know anyone made such a thing. Might save me from getting a new top just yet

Probably a good idea since when you get the top replaced they don't do the pieces attached to the window unless you ask them to. And it will usually about double the price of top replacement!!! Bastards...

Over the weekend, I glued the outside piece below the back window to the back window itself. Yesterday it poured all day. Turns out gluing the back window completely fixed the problem I had with water collecting in the stow!

Over the weekend, I glued the outside piece below the back window to the back window itself. Yesterday it poured all day. Turns out gluing the back window completely fixed the problem I had with water collecting in the stow!

that is good news....

My rear window is just fine I got it replaced over a year ago, of course the top is ripping by the staples on the passenger side and gets larger each time i raise and lower the top. :bash: $700 I dont have to fix it, and its summer time.

Don't use and adhesive that drys hard. It will be too brittle and will crack after a short time.

I use RTV, made by GE. It is perfect for reattaching the vinyl to the glass - cures flexable. Just make sure everything is as clean as possible. I wipe the glass and inner surface of the vinyl with alcohol as a final cleaner before applying the sealant. You will have to find a way to keep the vinyl in place while it sets. Don't worry about any excess that is forced out as it can be trimmed with a razor blade after it cures.

Bought mine at Home Depot for around $2.99 / 2.8oz tube. I think it was in the paint dept. Called GE Silicone II, Household Glue.

I think urethane is stronger only because it's what they use to glue in all glass on modern cars. It's supposed to withstand 300psi and cures flexible. It complies with gov't crash test ratings for windshields so it's strong. It can be trimmed with a razor blade after it cures as well. It sets pretty quickly and is very viscous so it doesn't need to be kept in place for very long. It's also black like the original adhesive.