GTP Totaled by a tire..... Now what do I do.

DrRodey

Fist off it is my ins co. that I have to deal with, seeing as it was 10:30 at night when this happened, and the truck driver never stopped, I have absolutely no clue who he worked for so that option is out. My ins will give me 2450 (kbb value) for it -500 deductible -300 buyback fee (thats what the local jy would give them for it) So i'd end up getting a check for 1650. but the car would then have a salvage/rebuild title.

Damage list

front bumper, front bumper support, front airdam, left door side skirt, left door panel, rear bumper, rear bumper support, exhaust all the way back including cat,resonator, both mufflers (picked up the borlas so I could reuse them) and all the piping.

Remaining parts of value

92 3.4DOHC w/97 intake, 13* timing ~35k since rebuild: Chipped ECM: rear Koni adjustable coilovers: front drop a-arms:complete 5spd int in Excelent condition: hud:getrag 284:2 1.5-2yr old borla stainless mufflers:sunroof:Misc parts.

Bought car for 2000 needs ~1500 of work, between parts, paint, etc. or could get 1500 from ins, and probably another 1000 from parts, so I have two options again

1: fix car and have 3500 into a 2500 car

2: Sell it/part it come out 500-1000 ahead, and buy something different

Well it sounds like it was a real nice car.. that really sucks.

Still have to go with #2, cause you've got all those panels to fix/replace and then it's gonna have to be painted again. If it smashed up the exhaust that bad almost would think there is other stuff broken you might not know about. Parting it out, you are right you may get alot out of it. I know Davis (Invasion1) made a good profit on his parts car TGP.

#2. How much for the interior? Minus the front seats and carpet?

That was a real asshole thing to say.

Anyhow, It sounds like there's nothing really that fucked up on it. If it's just cosmetic (front facia, rear facia) don't worry about it.. fix it. I refuse to let another 3.4/284 get junked because people see them as "just another W". If it was a 3.1/4T60 sure.. junk it. Dime a dozen. Junk your car? I think not.

fight for more than 1500. hell i got 2500 for an 87 bonne a couple years ago with 200k on it. unless youre dealing with farmers, then you're screwed. i had to fight hard just to get 2000 for a mint 86 riviera with 100K from them. i only had that for a month. if you dont know 86 was the first year of the fwd riv and they changed the back end in 87 so theyre sort of rare but i guess that doesnt really matter. the problem with buying it back and fixing it is number one, youre going to have a salvage title and its not gonna be worth anything at all after that, and two you'll have less money probably in salvaging one with a blown motor and/or trans from a junkyard or somewhere else and swapping over the engine and tranny,etc.

sorry to hear about it. good luck with whatever you decide

x2

Get that 5-speed out of there and scrap the car. You can EASILY find another GTP (or Lumina Z34) with blown engine/bad trans that you could do a nice transplant. :wink:

x3

Well after a couple long hard discussion sessions, We've decided to fix it where she sits. So all you greedy SOB's that are begging for parts can just "bugger Off" For everyone else.. Thanks for all the help in this hard decesion.

BUT i have a few other problems... Since the exhaust was not stock, and I didn't like the way he had it ran, I've decided that since i'm going to replace it anyway, i'm going to re-rout it, split the Y at the bend in front of the gas tank, and run one straight pipe back to each muffler. Now my question is I would have to weld/bolt a heat shield in place over the fuel lines/filter. Would this be enough of a bocker for heat dispersment from the exhaust or would I need to find a way to completely re route the fuel liines? and if so where the hell could I put them?

Secondly.. Anyone know if a 95 B4U package will bolt up on my 92 or do I have to find one from a 91-3 for it all to work? Along with this.. Were the side skirts on the doors just taped on or did the previous owner botch the bejesers out of a repair job, break all hte clips and jsut tape it in place so it looked good. And also does anyone have any of these parts they would be willing to part with inexpensively.

Thanks for the help

Dan.

'At a boy! :wink: :lol:

The '94-'96 should bolt up to that. However, I found a '91-'93 B4U in the yard today with that wierd light blue (I'm blanking on the official name of the color at the moment). I believe the back bumper cover was in tact. The front one wasn't bad, but the morons sat the car on it (all the cars are in the air on steel wheels that are welded together). I think the side pieces were good to go, too. They should be held on with clips, with some Stryrofoam in the "empty" spaces behind them. No glue as far as I can remember, but it's been a while since I parted out that TGP, so I could be remembering wrong. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am.

If you run the exhaust the same as the stock routing, then you should not need any heat shielding or anything as the piping will be a pretty good distance from the fuel lines(I don't recall there being a heat shield near those on either of my 1st gens, but there is one shield near the corner of the gas tank where the piping curves into the y section). I'll try to find my undercarriage pictures though, I suppose you could have lost a piece of shielding when that tire tore off the exhaust. :oops: