Car Dead ... Nothing works

wilde108

Spring time has arrived and I decided to get my 92 Cutty Vert out of the garage for the first time this spring. I decide to start it up and nothing. No interior lights, no radio, no nothing. I have been starting the car regularily throughout the winter just to keep the juices flowing and now nothing. The last time the car was started was about three weeks ago. I tried jump starting her, but nothing. Im assuming a dead battery, but what would have caused this. The car has been doing nothing but sitting and being started every couple weeks.

so, you couldnt even get nothing to happen by jumping it!? :? ...i'd be lookin for corrosion around the terminals...and checking the battery cables...i've replaced quite a few of the positive cables on w-bodies because of corrosion...(well, acually GM cables...the ones that split off into 2 wires...1 for the fuse block, other for starter)...

next time you should put the battery on a battery trickle charger, thats better for it than starting the car over the winter. i put my firebird in the back shed and leave the battery on battery tender. normaly you start the car and the oil doesnt get to working temp and the alt doesnt have time to charge the battery so your doing more harm than good.

Get a voltmeter and check the voltage coming from the alternator into the battery at the battery terminal. Should be at least 14v running. Any less, the alternator is on its way out.

Good luck!

i would guess that the alt is fine, you just depleted the battery every time he started it and batteries dont like to sit there depleted or dead, most of the time they dont come back. i killed alot of batteries doing what youre doing before i figured it out. ive heard optima batteries will do better at being deep cycle but i dont have any personal experience with them

i would guess that the alt is fine, you just depleted the battery every time he started it and batteries dont like to sit there depleted or dead, most of the time they dont come back. i killed alot of batteries doing what youre doing before i figured it out. ive heard optima batteries will do better at being deep cycle but i dont have any personal experience with them

I have an Optima Red Top... it owns. Optimas are probably the best kind of battery you can get, if you have the cash.

I have an Optima Red Top... it owns. Optimas are probably the best kind of battery you can get, if you have the cash.

Or a spare server and a cavalier... :lol:

Had the battery tested. 1 volt left in the thing after charging all night. Had it replaced under warranty and the car is running again. Im just a little concerned that something is running that im not aware of other than the clock. I guess when I leave it for a few weeks at a time I should disconnect the battery.

Yea didnt you get that when you got ur cavi? Your lucky man, I would just keep that battery forever.

When I have something sitting for a long time (even if it's in the garage) I take the battery inside the house where it's warm. If it's cold out, any longer than 2 weeks is my general rule of thumb.