Too much oil pressure?? **UPDATE**

skalor

A couple weeks ago I was driving my TGP, and when I looked at the oil pressure gauge I noticed it was maxed out. It was usually around 20 psi at idle when warm and it now maxes out at idle. So, I figured my sender went bad and that I'll replace it another day. I also notice that my car seemed to start smoking after getting on it and then let it idle for a few minutes. I figured that my turbo return line was bad and since it was original I wasn't really surprised. So, fast forward to yesterday and I changed my oil return line and it still smokes. So, I change out the oil pressure sender and it's still maxing out the gauge. Now, I'm don't know exactly how the oil pressure is regulated(if at all), but I'm thinking that somehow the oil pressure is way too high. My thoughts are that the oil pressure is too high and that's it's pushing oil out the seals in the turbo, causing my smoking. Anyone have any input as I don't know what I should do next. :roll:

I guess it is possible for overpressure. If I was you I would buy a manual analog gauge and plug it in to see if it is true pressure or just the cluster scaring you to death... 8)

I was thinking of taking the mechanical one out of my Jeep just to be sure. I guess I'll have to do that this weekend. I hope my turbo seals are shot if it turns out the pressure is normal. :x

On a VW I had in the distant past (just out of High School :shock: ) I had one that had a positive pressure point at the oil filter. If the filter clogged/defective it would max out the pressure gauge. I found that the filter I had was some cheap assed one and the filter element fell over the outgoing oil ports. 8)

I only use AC Delco filters and I only have about 1,000 miles on this oil change. I just recently took out my A/C compressor, and I had the filter off so I just put a new one on(I have a bunch because I have 3 cars that take the PF-52).

It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but my dads TGP at idle has like 30-40psi oil pressure, but if the car is cold and your driving it or your cruising down the freeway at like 75-80mph or so with it warmed up (or cold) the oil pressure will go up above 80. It changes a little and goes down to like 70 or so at some times, but its above 80 a lot. It used to only be about 65-70 on the freeway, but he started using synthetic oil, and as soon as he did that, the pressure went up. My STE runs about 65-70psi according to the gauge down the freeway...although at idle it does go down to around 35 or so. I am thinking about getting a manual gauge because I think these clusters must be off.

Shawn

Are you all using Jeffs chip? I think with the TG160...you'd have to run a 5w-30 in the colder climates and 10w-30 in the warmer climates. 15w-40 is IFFY..but its usualy not recommended by anyone. 20w-50 is tooo thick for the TG chips. Its good for non chiped , worn engines though.

I run 10w30 all year long and I only put 4,600 miles on the car this year(it's getting inspected today). I hope it doesn't smoke while it's getting inspected, but I'll just tell him that my oil return line is bad. :roll:

So, if the oil pressure isn't my problem then I'm basically looking at bad turbo seals. If that's the case then she's going to be sitting all summer because I don't have enough money to pay for a rebuild. I have a lot of work to do on the house this summer(new roof, remodel bathroom, etc.). I guess I'll just hook up a mechanical gauge this weekend and if the pressure is fine, then she's going back in the garage and not coming out. Maybe I'll look into buying one of those ebay rebuild kits and just replace the oil seals.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to make an update that I bought a new turbine housing seal, compressor housing seal, and a new nut for my turbo. I couldn't get the snap-ring out of the compressor housing so I didn't install that new seal, but I did put the new seal on the turbine side. It doesn't burn any oil anymore so it looks like the seal was the problem. Anyways, I'm happy to be able to actually drive the car with out it smoking. :P