Sagging rear bumper... How do I fix!?!?

comptech_69

Ok so this is pissing me off... I've been doing misc. bodywork to my car; taking out dings and dents and killing surface rust before it turns into rot. Well I've had this problem with my rear bumper that's been pissing me off to no extent. It seems to sag a little. Not much that anyone notices but like me. But that's not the point, it's pissing ME off. You can only notice that it sits funny on the car when you look at it from the rear, you ca see the unusual gap between the bumper and the metal piece underneath the tail lights. I always thought the bumper was jsut shit, so I replaced it with a spare one that I've had laying around that's in better condition. But the effin gap is STILL THERE!!!! Not as bad, but it's bad enough to piss me off... Anyone have this problem? I always thought it was becuase my frineds would use my rear bumper to climb on to sit on the trunk (another reason I'm doing bodywork, my trunk is kinda dented from the fat ass's). So I figured it just warped the bumper or something. But noooooo it can't be that simple!!! Anyone have any ideas before I blow the effin car up??

These pics are all kinda old but you get the general idea...

(The last one was taken yesterday when I was doing bodywork and swapped the bumper... Even with a diff. bumper that effin gap is STILL THERE!!!)

HPIM0856.jpg

HPIM0860.jpg

HPIM0641.jpg

HPIM0643.jpg

HPIM1342.jpg

Car ever been rear ended? So you replaced thw hole bumper, or jusy the cover??

My car is sagging a bit at both ends but I've just taken it as another lose

IM000212.jpg

- Jeff L.

maybe the metal piece needs to be replaced...the one between the lights and the bumper cover

are all the scews that hold the cover on the bumper all there?

i can't believe that 2 bumpers later you still have the same problem

BTW, 1990lumina, don't show any more pics of your Euro coupe...it makes me sad seeing such nice pics as that one. :mrgreen:

Wow, I wish mine looked that good.. that's nice!

The metal piece is on fair condition, It's up to 100% now that I fixed it up some... Thing with that is that even if it was deformed, it wouldn't necesserially make the gap bigger... I wish it was just that simple. :( As for replacing the bumper, yeah I just replaced the bumper cover. I have more of that plastic shit that goes on the metal part of the actual bumper itself, but that all looks fine. I origionally thought the plastic underneath the bumpercover might have something to do with this.. hmmph...

heh... Yeah it was rear ended once, that's where the car got it's name... http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/791369/2

It effin KILLED the car that hit me, but didn't harm my car much... Unibody is straight and it didnt wrinkle or even touch the subframe points to where the bumper is mounted. Note the included pics, The first one was taken a week before the accident, the second pic 10 minutes after... The bumper had the same amount of gap... Think having ppl repeatidly climb on it might have bent it on some way? My fat friend use to think it was funny to jump on the bumper (this was like a 220lb kid!) untill he got punched or had something thrown at him when I caught him.

In the last pic with everything removed it kinda looks like its bent down a little. I'm going to remove the bumper itself tomorrow and inspect it a little more and take some better pics. This is soooo annoying. :bash:

103-0354_IMG.jpg

103-0388_IMG.jpg

HPIM1356.jpg

you could always jack the car up by the back bumper with the bumper cover removed and let it sit like that over night. that might ease it back into shape.

Howd you get the bumper off? Are there bolts outsde and in the wheel well? I kinda need to know..

Taking out the tail lights and removing the metal piece under them helps ALOT...

1. Take the carpeting out of your trunk.

2. Remove tail lights and reverse light.

3. Remove metal piece under tail lights. (Four 10mm nuts)

4. On the R side of the car you will see two 10mm bolts, those are for your bumpercover... Remove those. On the L side there will only be one, remove it.

5. In inner fenderwells remove all the tiny bolts (7mm) on R and L sides.

6. Underneath the car are 4 more 7mm bolts on each side of the car. Remove those and than remove the plastic piece out from the wheel wells.

7. You now have access to ghetto nut things that also hold the bumper cover on underneath where you just took out the plastic pieces from the wheelwells. On the right side there is only one and on the left side there is two. They are both 10mm

8. There are little clips running along the bottom of the bumper. The proper way to remove them is with a specail tool. If your careful though, you can do it with a pair of vice grips.

9. Un-clip bumper on the top and gently remove.

Hope I helped! :)

you could always jack the car up by the back bumper with the bumper cover removed and let it sit like that over night. that might ease it back into shape.

Yeah, I was thinking mabye connecting a chain to the bottom of the bumper by both of the mounting points, putting the car in park with the e-brake on and hooking the chin to my winch and hooking the winch up to my stepfather's 1/2 ton pickup... just a lil perswasion (dont mind my shittay spelling). ;)

LOL hahaha naww it was just a joke. That wouldnt do anything even if it wanted to (I think?). I did fix the gap in the bumper today though... It came out pretty nice. Now I just need to finish the rest of the car and I'll be set.

HPIM1396.jpg

lol the tires look fucking retarded :lol:

yeah, my bumper does that now, but i think its the fact that the bumper support is rotting away, mabey, but when i got it inspected, they said the panel was rotted away, but the main support is still good enough.

as for the pictures... :| :?:

yeah, my bumper does that now, but i think its the fact that the bumper support is rotting away, mabey, but when i got it inspected, they said the panel was rotted away, but the main support is still good enough.

as for the pictures... :| :?:

On my parts car everything on the rear support was rotting away! Especially were the bottom of the bumper mounts with the little plastic retainer clips!